Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which (if any) types of Engineers are in Demand?

Options
  • 04-12-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Are there any particular facets of engineering in demand at the moment in Ireland?
    I'm interested in the Mechanical, Electrical, Process, Design, Automation etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Electronic engineers with good embedded systems experience (hardware and software)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭00lk

Is that it lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Basically, yes - unless you have massive amounts of relevant experience. There's almost no demand for new graduates in any area. However, if you're looking for ideas on what to study, understand that the situation can change dramatically in five years.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

IC Design Jobs, if you got Ca 5 years experience...:rolleyes:

back end and front end roles aplenty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

bnt wrote: »
    However, if you're looking for ideas on what to study, understand that the situation can change dramatically in five years.

Exactly, do what yo want to do, you can't predict the future. Loads of Civil Engineers were needed in 06 and 07 don't think the people finishing college in 10 and 11 feel all that wanted :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Electronic engineers with good embedded systems experience (hardware and software)

Where? Out of interest.

Electronic Engineer with two years software experience and only a few hardware projects under my belt (not for want of trying mind you). Would like to be more hardware oriented ideally, but you take what you can get in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭00lk

What about in the Mechanical / Manufacturing & Production side of things. Any openings there that anyone knows of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I don't get it... they're always harping on about the knowlege econemy and all that jazz, and how we don't have enough people with technical qualifications and how nobody does honours maths, yet many young engineers I know are finding it impossible to get a job.

I found it hard enough when i graduated and that was in '05 when the jobs were supposed to be plentiful. Took 6 months of tough work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

As a job hunting civil engineer (currently), I've noticed a lot of requirements for Mech processing/biomedical design engineers, and variations on that.

http://www.recruitireland.com/jobcategory/engineering

Just take a quick look here for example.

Kilkenny flyer what engineering did you do?? I graduated in 05 and walked into a job.....:rolleyes:.Unfortunately that's all changed in my field. And OP, as someone else pointed out, what's in demand now won't necessarily be in demand in 4/5 years time. I remember Mechanical engineers in my graduating class finding it very hard to get jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

scanlone wrote: »
    Exactly, do what yo want to do, you can't predict the future. Loads of Civil Engineers were needed in 06 and 07 don't think the people finishing college in 10 and 11 feel all that wanted
    +1
    scanlone wrote: »
    tongue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Last yrs UCD E & E engineers are mostly working I believe.

There is still some work about for electronics grads in telecoms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Paul_Designer

Good demand for Mechanical Engineers with design experience.
    Any engineer that is involved in export products would have the best demand in my view and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Medical device companies seem to be holding strong, and while building booms come and go, people are always getting sick.Mechanical, biomedical, electronic, & industrial engineers all work in these companies, so you should really do what you are interested in. Civil is the obvious discipline that is struggling now, but in 4 or 5 years who knows what part of the economy will be doing well.

I did mechanical, and a lot of people from my class (of 2008) that are working now are in jobs that weren't advertised. You make contacts on work experience/ internships etc... If you work hard, and can show that if given the opportunity, then I think you will find a job in engineering.... A good record in college will definitely help that.

Study the one you enjoy,

Advertisement