Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London salary

Options
  • 04-12-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Can anyone tell me what kind of salary youd need for a decent standard of living in London? I know its a very broad question and ive seen info on the london living wage but I want to know if ill be able to get by over there on the salary being offered to me. When I say get by i mean be able to afford pints, concerts etc as well as food, accomodation and weekly travel from zone 3 to zone 1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Hi Op

I lived in Highgate and Camden for 18 months. I was taking home about 350 a week. I found this to be just barely enough to have a night out, do my traveling and pay bills.

I was paying 400 a month for a not great apartment with 3 others with no living room, dryer or dishwasher, basically all the things that are pretty standard over here.

bills wise you will have to pay council tax (mine was 40 a month) leci (30 a month) gas (30 a month) and water about 40 for 6months. Then obviously phone and travel. I used to spend 30 a week on travel but I had to travel to zone 6 twice a week so that was about half of it.

There are much cheaper and much much more expensive areas to live in and you council tax changes accordingly.

Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 udonwannado

thats a big help, kind of what i was hoping to hear. i might be living in highgate for the first couple of weeks (love the Boogaloo) but plan on settling somewhere between stratford and wanstead so hoping costs are slightly less.

Advertisement