Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW EXPENSIVE IS IT TO STUDY IN UK

Options
  • 04-12-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I am applying for MSc and BSc programs in UK and Wales. Maybe Scottland too. There is only a one year difference between these options in terms of Occupational Therapy.

The course is covered by NHS-thank God.
    I would ideally take out a gigantic loan to cover me.

Apart from selling my body has anyone got any feedback around studying at this level in the UK.

I made a huge mistake of using up two UCAS choices for London based universities-I could never afford it.
    Ulster/Derby/Liverpool/bristol/lancaster/ and a few others - these are my choices.

Any feedback would be great .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Don't know if this will be any use to you, but if you get a grant here from the county council or whoever, you can then go and study in the EU.

I'm sure you've looked into it, but if not, this site is great
    www.studentfinance.ie

Good luck!

(how did you find writing the personal statement for UCAS? It's driving me mad at the moment!)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

:DThank you - I sent off UCAS last week.

Are you in your Leaving Cert or are you a mature student?

Either way, get a second opinion regarding your structure and grammar ect.. I found that so helpful.

The UCAS site gives you tips however if there is anyone in your life that can thrash it out with you take the help!

I have not checked out the website but I will. Merci!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

+1 to Cliona99, if you're eligible for the grant it will extend to study in the UK.

Re. the living options....well I'd say Liverpool and Bristol are big student cities with the others being less-so. It depends on what you're used to I suppose! Generally speaking in the bigger cities it would be easy enough to get a part-time job to supplement your grant (if your course leaves you enough free time).

As a general piece of info if you check out the forums (and personal statement help section!) on www.thestudentroom.co.uk you might get some more knowledgeable folks about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yes, I studied in the UK. You can get grants from your local county council which will extend to cover you in the UK too. Certainly, when I was there, it was also very easy to borrow a couple of grand from local banks there if you had to... although that may no longer apply.

You're right, studying in London is very expensive, but for the most part, you'll find most UK towns to be much cheaper student living than anywhere in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I found the cost of living to be less than Ireland. I wasn't in London though. My rent was £50/£55 a week in the different houses I was in. They were fairly decent houses too for student houses. My friends in UCC were paying about 80 to a 100 euro a week in rent for dumps. Internet in the house with Virgin broadband was about £5 a month between 5 of us. I found heating and electricity to be expensive enough. As a student you are exempt from council tax but you will have to pay for water. It was a tenner every so often. You could feed yourself pretty cheaply as well in the likes of Aldi and Lidl. Student nights again were not expensive, you could have a night out on £20. In UCC a student night would cost you at least 50 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Same as Ireland really. apart from london where rent is obscene.

Advertisement