Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Wikipedia (Vicipeid)

Options
  • 03-12-2010 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I think it's a shame that Irish Wikipedia (Vicipeid) isn't usually counted among the resources of gaeilge, because it's an incredible resource with massive potential.

Here is the only opportunity to read about any subject in Irish and something that can support learners and engage fluent speakers alike. Also, it is a uniquely Irish project, which gives an authentically Irish perspective in each of its 11,000+ articles.

How wonderful it would be if more people would contribute to Vicipeid and create an unrivalled resource for all those who love the Irish language.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Ar eagla go bhfuil aon duine ag lorg Vicipéid:

http://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%ADomhleathanach

I think you are right, Vicipéid by it's nature has massive potential, it is by far the best resource in Irish. I would be curious if many people use it to look up details because it isn't updated regularly enough to rival the English version.
    Anyone can add to it, and I agree with Saddler that you should if you have time going to waste! But I'd love if more articles got fleshed out, far too many articles are stubs with only a few short sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Saddler

Very true, Cliste - it is really neglected :(

But, it's so easy to use! If you want to create a new article, all you have to do is press 'Cabhair' on the left hand column, type in the name of your article and away you go.

If you want to improve an article, just press 'Cuir in eagar' on the top right hand of the article.

There's no need to spend ages writing incredible detailed articles. A sentence or two is enough, you (or someone else) can always improve it later.

But it's important that more people contribute! Where are all the school teachers of Irish, the students, people with Phds, writers, journalists etc? There are (apparantly) 400,000 people who are fluent in Irish, even if they don't speak it - I'm sure they all must have something to say...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I wonder how it got the name "Vicipéid" considering there is no letter 'V' in the Irish language?

I think I'll go and have a browse around the site, maybe it has an explanation somewhere :).

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

There is a V in modern Irish, veist for vest and vóta for vote etc. just as we have "jab" for job and "júdó" for judo.

I have say I've never seen "jab" used. What's wrong with "post"? I suppose the other words I can understand being given a 'v' as they aren't Irish in origin.

• Advertisement

It was native speakers who continually used "jab" instead of Job that forced the hand of those involved in putting together the standard.
    As regards the v, I suppose they did'nt want to use 2 letters to say the likes of "bhodca", which Galway, Mayo and Donegal folk pronounce still as wodca. The v sound you get in Munster.
    We also caved in to Q X Y and Z.
    We still do'nt have K or W in the alphabet.

Heh, I know what you mean. One that always makes me smile is the way that we were taught bicycle = "rothar" at school but I've never heard it called that in real life. Instead native speakers say "wyshicle" (I'm spelling it phonetically but you get the idea :))

They sure do when preceded by mo, do, a.
    They are putting together a new dictionary and I reckon that you'll
    see alongside rothar an entry something like
    baighseacal

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Cliste wrote: »
    Ar eagla go bhfuil aon duine ag lorg Vicipéid:

http://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%ADomhleathanach

I think you are right, Vicipéid by it's nature has massive potential, it is by far the best resource in Irish. I would be curious if many people use it to look up details because it isn't updated regularly enough to rival the English version.
    Anyone can add to it, and I agree with Saddler that you should if you have time going to waste! But I'd love if more articles got fleshed out, far too many articles are stubs with only a few short sentences.

Looking up general topics you're always likely to have longer and better articles in languages that have more speakers, like English. In certain particular areas though Vicipéid has more information than the English Wikipedia: for example there are some interesting articles about Irish in different countries like

http://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Ghaeilge_san_Astr%C3%A1il

Advertisement