Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac v MacBook

Options
  • 03-12-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Apart from the obvious issue of portability, are there any major differences between the iMac and the MacBooks in terms of which people would recommend......am currently a pc user...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Screen size is the the other obvious, but crucial, one.

I use a 13" MacBook Pro as my main computer. I have it set up on a desk with a 24" monitor, external hard drives, a USB keyboard and MightyMouse. So it's portable when I want it to be, and a "desktop" most of the time (with dual monitors).

There's no way I'd sit in front of a 13" screen for the majority of my computer use, but there's also no way I'd buy a computer I can't pick up and bring anywhere when needed.

Personally, I think my setup gives me the best of both worlds, but your choice really depends on what you want to use your computer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

That's an interesting suggestion that I wouldn't have thought of doing.
    Excuse my ignorance but when you say you use a 24'' monitor you mean a.....?????? Did you buy a monitor like comes with a desk-top.........

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've had a MacBook Pro for the last four years and can honestly say it's the best computer I've ever had. My next machine though, I think, will be an iMac. Much more bang for buck, and I've an Acer One for doing presentations off anyway.

Yep, pretty much any monitor will do. You can get them in PC World, pixmania.ie, komplett.ie, etc., etc. I've a Samsung SyncMaster 2243BW. It's a copule of years old, so discontinued now, but there's plenty of makes, models and sizes out there to choose from. Here's roughly the equivalent Samsung from their current range (€214)

Apple make displays too, but while they're very good, they're verrrrrrrrry expensive.

The Mac Book/Pro uses Mini DisplayPort as the monitor interface. Apart from Apple, very few other monitor makers support this, so you'll most likely need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (€29) to hook it up to a standard DVI monitor. You can get a VGA adapter too, but if you're going down the road of getting a monitor at this stage, get a DVI (digital) one.

The great thing is you can use both screens at once (Monitor and Mac Book) so your desktop extends between the two. Browser on one screen, email on the other, for instance. I'm a web developer, so I often have Dreamweaver on my main screen, and a browser previewing what I'm working in on the other.

BTW, the iMac also has a Mini DisplayPort, so you can add an extra monitor to it too.

Oh, by the way - it should be noted that the iMac is a more powerful machine ( Intel Core i3/Core i5 processors) than the Mac Book (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). And most likely, the iMac will work out cheaper for a similar setup (Large monitor, mouse and keyboard is included in the iMac price - they're all extras you'll have to take into account with the Mac Book).

So it really comes down to what you'll be using the computer for, and where.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

phutyle wrote: »
    Oh, by the way - it should be noted that the iMac is a more powerful machine ( Intel Core i3/Core i5 processors) than the Mac Book (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). And most likely, the iMac will work out cheaper for a similar setup (Large monitor, mouse and keyboard is included in the iMac price - they're all extras you'll have to take into account with the Mac Book).

And i7. What drove me to buy an iMac was when I set one up for someone. The display really has to be seen to be believed. Go and look at one in a shop. They are something else. Yes they're expensive - but you really do get what you pay for. Choose carefully!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

phutyle wrote: »

Sorry for the mini hijack.
    In terms of real world performance, would there be much difference between the base MBP (2.4ghz core 2 duo) and the base iMac (3.06Ghz i3)?
    I think I read an article somewhere saying that in some benchmarks the newer i3 chip was actually slower than a similarly rated core 2.
    Anybody feel qualified to comment?
    FWIW, I would mostly be using it for internet, email, music (Traktor DJ software and maybe some production s/w) and photo editing (hobbyist only).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The hard drive speed and the system bus speed would also come into it. In most real-world scenarios an iMac will be faster for the same labelled processor family.

Just wanted to follow up on the idea of using a Macbook Pro with a monitor as this is what I am thinking of going for and so I have some - probably very sillly - questions...

1. Can I connect the Macbook to the monitor but then operate from a separate keyboard and mouse or do I have to work from the macbook with the moniter behind it.
    2.Would I be able to set it all up myself?
    3.Thinking of going for a re-furbished Macbook Pro - 15" - any thoughts on this....

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

onway wrote: »
    Just wanted to follow up on the idea of using a Macbook Pro with a monitor as this is what I am thinking of going for and so I have some - probably very sillly - questions...

1. Can I connect the Macbook to the monitor but then operate from a separate keyboard and mouse or do I have to work from the macbook with the moniter behind it.
    2.Would I be able to set it all up myself?
    3.Thinking of going for a re-furbished Macbook Pro - 15" - any thoughts on this....

Thanks in advance...

Yes you can operate it from a separate keyboard and mouse.
    It's trivial to set up. Keyboard and mouse use USB, display uses DVI or DisplayPort. Best option imho is to get a monitor with a USB hub in it, wire up the keyboard and mouse to the monitor, then link the two monitor cables to the laptop.

I have an old MBP that I bought refurbished several years ago. its a good way of saving money compared to a new model. They're often exactly the same as current gen hardware just in a plain box.

• Advertisement

Was thinking of this monitor but don't see any mention of USB port - is that a problem..

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-ws230aa-21-5-widescreen-led-backlit-monitor-06840164-pdt.html

What maggy_thatcher said. It's really simple to set up - in fact it's exactly the same as connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse to desktop. Except you end up with two monitors.

Was thinking of this monitor but don't see any mention of USB port - is that a problem..

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-ws230aa-21-5-widescreen-led-backlit-monitor-06840164-pdt.html

No problem if the Monitor doesn't have a USB port. Mine doesn't.

Plug monitor into Macbook.
    Plug Keyboard into Macbook
    Plug Mouse into either Macbook (or Keyboard, assuming it's an Apple USB Keyboard or another one with a USB hub)

If you're using a Bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse, obviously you don't need to plug them in, which makes the setup even simpler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zon

Just wanted to plant a couple of thoughts in your mind. No wires, expensive though

MagicMouse

Wireless Keyboard

Does anyone use the MagicMouse and Apple wireless keyboard and if so , are they so much better than normal wireless keyboard and mouse to be worth the extra money.??

I use the Magic Mouse, and I find it brilliant. The swipe gestures and ergonomics are great. I don't have the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, simply because I like having a dedicated numeric keypad. If the BT one had that, I'd have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Does anyone use the MagicMouse and Apple wireless keyboard and if so , are they so much better than normal wireless keyboard and mouse to be worth the extra money.??

Have both. The caps lock is a bit of a problem (doesn't engage at times). This appears to be an issue.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2142058

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12290495&#12290495

Mouse works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Unless you really need/want two monitors, it isn't necessary to use both. I had a similar set up a while back with my old G4 Powerbook. When your portable boots up, simply close the lid to put it to sleep. Hit any key on the external keyboard to wake it up, and via the external monitor and you've got a virtual desktop machine. When I got my hands on an iPhone I needed USB 2 urgently, so I got a Mac Mini and 20" Cinema display from Ebay. The resolution/colour rendition on the Apple display has to be seen to be believed.

Advertisement