Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless external hard drive / media centre

Options
  • 03-12-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Have two laptops in the house now, and a wireless modem for internet access. Want to create a network whereby both laptops can access one central source of data, preferably wirelessly.
    Would be an added bonus if it could also act as a player through the TV, for DVD etc.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Lenguy wrote: »
    Have two laptops in the house now, and a wireless modem for internet access. Want to create a network whereby both laptops can access one central source of data, preferably wirelessly.
    Would be an added bonus if it could also act as a player through the TV, for DVD etc.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks...

I would have a look at MVIX. I have one here. It's basically just a hard drive caddy. At the moment there is a 100gig hard drive in it. The caddy is connected directly to my tv via the HDMI cable. There is an ethernet port on the back of the caddy but i am using the built in wireless feature to connect to my router. The rest of my computers can see it as a network drive. If anyone downloads a show on their computers they can write it to the network drive and then watch it on the big tv.

Maybe a simpler way; if your laptop has good quality video out you can connect it directly to the tv. Make use of the extented desktop feature so that you can drag your video player program onto your tv and still surf the net on your laptop. Windows 7 has a very simple network configuration system known as homegroup.

Advertisement