Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Official' translations

Options
  • 03-12-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Does anybody know where i could get some documents Officially translated to French?

I am referring to things like Birth Certs.
    I understand they must be translated by someone whom is registered with the relevant French officialdom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

You could try the Irish Translators Association, 19 Parnell Square, Dublin 1
    Telephone: 8721302

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Contact the French embassy; they will have a list of such tranlators. You're right that it has to be a specific translator. If not, then whoever (a French organisation no doubt) it's destined for will send it back. They love sending things back that are incomplete, believe me!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are you in Ireland or France?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Aard wrote: »
    Contact the French embassy; they will have a list of such tranlators. You're right that it has to be a specific translator. If not, then whoever (a French organisation no doubt) it's destined for will send it back. They love sending things back that are incomplete, believe me!

Thanks but i've tried contacting them on numerous occasions but they just don't answer their phones.
    Thought about turning up at their door but you'd think i could get this info a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

They don't answer their phones in France either. I bet they have some weird schedule like you have to call between 9h30 and 10h30, or 14h30 and 15h. They're just preparing you for what France is actually like! (That's almost not a joke.) Trust me, you just have to keep calling, emailing, and if possible show up in person. They will then tell you "no" again and again, until you ask the right person and they will tell you exactly what you need to know. The rigamarole is part and parcel of the French bureaucracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

http://www.ambafrance-ie.org/france_irlande/spip.php?article1473

This is a list of the translators registered with the French Embassy. It might be of help.

V

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

I remember bringing a document to the french embassy in dublin to be stamped. Was for a friend so can't be 100% sure, but I think that he translated it and then the embassy stamped it to say that it was the same as the original. I presume this step can be skipped by getting an official translator

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

10 years ago ... I had to get a good few official documents translated. You could translate them yourself and get the Embassy to 'certify' them. However, they had to be laid out exactly the same way as the original document.
    Not sure if it still works this way but it looks like it ...
    V

Advertisement