Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden empty of birds

Options
  • 03-12-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I've had literally 40 birds at a time in my garden over the last week or so. Normally there would be at least 20 birds.

Since yesterday, they've all emptied out of the garden. Don't know why. Does this happen often?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Could it just be that more neighbours have started feeding them, given the cold snap, so they have more choice of where to go? I went to buy more seed in my local hardware shop yesterday and the shelf was empty of both seed and feeders! I'm sure they'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've had literally 40 birds at a time in my garden over the last week or so. Normally there would be at least 20 birds.

Since yesterday, they've all emptied out of the garden. Don't know why. Does this happen often?
    Where are you based?
    How long were you looking for.

There could be Sparrowhawk doing regular rounds or cat lurking etc

Mothman wrote: »
    How long were you looking for.

I came back to add this.

"my" garden birds tend to come at certain times and then could disappear for a few hours. Unless I happen to catch them at the right times I could easily think there's been nothing there all day.

How long have you been feeding them for? As Mothman says it could be that the local cats etc have just found them and are lurking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Based in Galway city in an estate. Relatively new - about five years so there are not a lot of mature shrubs and trees in the back gardens.

I've been feeding them for about three months now.

I did come across an injured baby bird two nights ago and have noticed a new cat lurking yesterday evening, maybe that's the reason.

I've had a real cat problem in my garden over the years. I'm the proud shameful starter of many angry cat threads on this forum :o

In my experience the birds have only stayed away for as long as the cat is actually there and visible to them...even when their numbers were dwindling by the day :( Are your feeders out in the open away from good cat stalking points?
    Maybe keep an eye on things over the weekend H.E. and see if the cat is hanging around a lot. I know that's not exactly good advice as such but at least it might give you an idea of what's going on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement