Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMF and EU pressure on the government will turn Ireland into an Orwellian abyss

Options
  • 03-12-2010 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I believe with all the pressure from the EU and IMF on the Government to cough up with payments on loans, it will enevitably turn this country into an Orwellian abyss.

The authorities will be under extreme pressure to cut welfare figures, take in more revenue and cut down on fraud. In order to do this they need more transparency in all our day to day lives.

Current technology just offers them this transparency.

2wr403k.jpg

Rrecently there was talk of introducing mobile phones for welfare recipients, perhaps no harm, however a mobile phone is far more effective as a tracking device than any electronic bracelet using GSM cell site analysis.

I believe other powers under the recent criminal justice amendment bill could also be used to counter welfare and tax fraud. Such powers could allow access to records from service providers. ie text messages, e mail correspondence and logged locations. This data must be retained by service providers for up to two years under the 2006 data retention directive.

I also believe ANPR / RFID will play a large player in collecting tolls and soon gantries will be dotted right across our EU sponsored motorways. These will replace all toll booths as a more effective way of collecting revenue. Every time you pass a toll your movements will be logged on a database.

Congestion charges in cities will also be introduced to collect more revenue. This will also operate using the same tracking devices ie ANPR / RFID.

Transit smart cards are beginning to make an appearance in this countrys public transport systems. The aim of the authorities is to eventually have everyone issued with a registered card starting off with pensioners and those on free travel passes. Registered transit smart cards are the ultimate tool for controlling the masses.

I also believe that with nationalising the banks will give the state more transparency into our accounts and day to day financial dealings..

As councils get starved of fundings they will resort to penalising those that place materials in wrong bins and those that leave their bin out on the wrong day. This is already happening in the UK with patrols deployred to make sure people comply. We are already seeing CCTV with ANPR recognition at recycling centers, this will get more widespread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I thought GSM Cell anayalsis was still piss poor and not very acurrate...
    Is it not also very labour intensive and time consuming to track one even one mobile? never mind thousands???

And

how is a transit card the Ultimate tool for control of the masses...??????
    how does tracking what buses, trains you used control the masses??? :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

they can't even get the civil service to finger print people. how are they going to get them to implement and manage all of these systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

they can't even get the civil service to finger print people. how are they going to get them to implement and manage all of these systems?
    This has become a topic within days of the IMF deal. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This has become a topic within days of the IMF deal. :p

Well I, for one, have no problem with the authorities doing whatever is necessary to clamp down on social welfare fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well I, for one, have no problem with the authorities doing whatever is necessary to clamp down on social welfare fraud.
    Either do i but when it encroaches on my quality of life i tend to feel resentful.Quality is dependant on perspective too so each to his own..unless he has no choice?
    They say we need babying because we cant take care of ourselves.We live in a so called nanny state.
    But the nanny is feeding us toxic waste(literally and symbolicly in many ways) and we are to thank them for the medicine the nanny gives us to help us cope with the toxicity?
    Why not insist the nanny does the right thing or get the fup out of the house.
    Because we are used to being treated like children its almost expected nowadays.
    Except thats kind of insulting to children if you think about it.
    A child knows his rights or "god given rights" automatically when they first experience life,they then learn that others are like them and have rights too.But when they enter society they also learn that those rights dont apply to them anymore and they conform.At the moment all this high tech stuff,security, police departments etc etc is a ton of pharmaceuticals designed for keeping the machine running while medicating people against the damage these same things and other issues are causing as appose to just fixing the root of the problem we are being spiritually,mentally,physically poisoned then medicated.
    Maybe i will aim for psychology as a career,it looks to be a good bet for the future.
    It doesnt matter to me anymore if its a conspiracy which it appears to be to me.What matters is the pattern that is showing and where it appears to be leading us.
    While you are happy to give up some of your rights for some peace of mind, there are others out there who value those rights deeply.I believe everyone should be allowed experience their own reality whatever way makes them happy as long as they do no harm to others experience.Thats how i live my life.
    But this system is enforcing a one sided view onto everyone which might be considered unfair in some realities or just the way it is in others.
    You could say being against security cams is both right and wrong and being for them the same.As rights are only there because a majority accept them.I wonder how long before the majority is tired or changes over the genertions and decides it doesnt like how its going.Will it be too late to go back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

namloc1980 wrote: »

So you would give up all your human rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

maxxie wrote: »

That's some leap there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

maxxie wrote: »

Wow that's a pretty epic strawman. Fair play.

i am still curious to know how a Transit card is the ultimate tool for controling the masses??????

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    i am still curious to know how a Transit card is the ultimate tool for controling the masses??????
    You omitted the two most important key words from your sentence."registered" and "smart".

You omitted the two most important key words from your sentence."registered" and "smart".

ok including those words how are they the ultimate in control of the masses....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How is ANPR, RFID or Travel Smart Cards going to tell the Government that I rode my bike to work today?

seamus wrote: »
    How is ANPR, RFID or Travel Smart Cards going to tell the Government that I rode my bike to work today?
    You could say the same about walking to work, this is in the context of public transport. :rolleyes:

If you are signed up with Dublin Bikes you are issued with an smart card that tracks all your "tag" on "tag" off movements.

You could say the same about walking to work, this is in the context of public transport. :rolleyes:

If you are signed up with Dublin Bikes you are issued with an smart card that tracks all your "tag" on "tag" off movements.

considering the vast majority of people use their own personal cars a tracking system based on bus journeys or other public transport will only benifit them in helping them make decissions about public transport use and future develpoment....

Still wait for an explanation on how these smart cards will control the masses.....

considering the vast majority of people use their own personal cars a tracking system based on bus journeys or other public transport will only benifit them in helping them make decissions about public transport use and future develpoment....

Still wait for an explanation on how these smart cards will control the masses.....
    Have you been in London over the last numbers of years. Ever heard of the congestion charge. Its a total minefield of ANPR CCTV dotted right throughout the capital. The police also have an interest in this. It would not surprise me in the least if we hear about similar proposals in tomorrows budget.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6902543.stm

Have you been in London over the last numbers of years. Ever heard of the congestion charge. Its a total minefield of ANPR CCTV dotted right throughout the capital. The police also have an interest in this. It would not surprise me in the least if we hear about similar proposals in tomorrows budget.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6902543.stm

congestion charges, of course i have heard of this...

but that doesnt answer the question ..... how is a smart TRANSIT card the ultimate control of the masses?

are you going to answer the question??

congestion charges, of course i have heard of this...

but that doesnt answer the question ..... how is a smart TRANSIT card the ultimate control of the masses?

are you going to answer the question??
    You again left out the word "registered"

You again left out the word "registered"

I take it you cant answer the question.....

I take it you cant answer the question.....
    The two year data retention directive explains enough.

• Advertisement

The two year data retention directive explains enough.

that doesnt explain how these registered smart transit cards are the ultimate tool for controlling the masses....

that doesnt explain how these registered smart transit cards are the ultimate tool for controlling the masses....
    Quit baiting, there has been enough threads and links in this forum about registered smart cards and the threat to privacy.

Quit baiting, there has been enough threads and links in this forum about registered smart cards and the threat to privacy.

stop avoiding the question... i didnt ask about privacy... i asked about your comment "controlling the masses"

so i am curious how these cards can control the masses... the ultimate tool as u said...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

stop avoiding the question... i didnt ask about privacy... i asked about your comment "controlling the masses"

so i am curious how these cards can control the masses... the ultimate tool as u said...

Im intrigued to know as well. But im guessing that run to da hills is as good as Bertie himself at avoiding an explanation.

Advertisement