Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colic

Options
  • 03-12-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Last week my pony suffered a bad bout of volic from eating apple peelings. The vet came, gave her paimkillers and it thankfully cleared up by the evening.
    After that she was in a good mood, just eating hay and having just a small bit of oats also. Badically the usual. Yesterday the colic hit again for no apparent reason. Vet called and by night she seemed herself again. This morning though, it has turned bad again.
    Im currently waiting on the vet. She is out walking a bit in the arena. Is there anything else that will help her feel better or just prevent it in general??
    Last week was the first time she got colic. Shes now about 16 years old.
    Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Keeping her walking will help with the pain (but obviously don't walk her to the point of exhaustion!) Don't let her roll, and don't let her eat anything. Hope she'll be ok.

If you're worried at any stage, ring your vet even though they're on their way out to you.

Sometimes the best kept horses will get colic for what seems like no apparent reason. There are some basic tips which help prevent it, but obviously they don't always work.

Horses gorging themselves on food often will result in colic, as can feeding poor quality forage. Horses who eat lots and don't drink much may also be prone to colic as the food has a higher chance of getting compacted, so making sure your horse(s) have free access to clean water is very important. Feeding little and often is one way to help prevent it.

All of the above are only tips, but there's no sure proof method, so keeping an eye on your horse and trying to catch any signs of colic early is the best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Unfortunately she didnt pull through. We gave her a few more hours to see if she would improve but by the evening her gut had stopped functioning completely. It was the kindest thing for her to be put down.

I really cant believe shes gone, ive owned her for the last 9 years. She didnt deserve the suffering she must have went through, but it could have been worse and she only would have died in complete agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm so sorry Censorsh!t :( It was for the best.

Just in case anyone goes back to this thread, I just want to add to the tips given: when it's Spring/ Summer, and you have just got in the hay, don't feed it to the horse straight away. Leave it about 6 weeks or so before giving it to them.
    I know a woman who never left and her pony kept getting colic and she could never figure out why.

Censorsh!t, I'm so sorry to hear about your mare. You must be devastated. At least you know you did all you could for her, and didn't prolong her suffering. Take care of yourself during the coming days. C

• Advertisement
Advertisement