Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Geography 2011

Options
  • 02-12-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all!

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice for Leaving Cert Geography Higher Level?

Whether you have done your leaving cert or are in 6th year now aswell I would really appreciate advice.

In every class test and Christmas/summer tests I have gotten A1's, A2's or B1's(my worst results) so I know I'm not bad at Geography but the problem is I need some direction for the course.It just seems far too vast.Could anyone inform me of what I NEED to learn.I know that's a big ask but I feel like there must be a simpler way then learning the book.(If you understand what I mean, I'm not looking for what people think will come up in 2011 I'm looking for the topics and questions that I need to learn I know there is a lot but right now it feel infinite =( and I know it shouldn't! )

Please I would really appreciate advice as it is one of my subjects I am hoping to get an A in to bring up my points for Primary School Peaching in Pat's!

Thank you
    Aisling Marie xxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

I don't think you can really pick and choose. Anything can come up. Obviously you have your core and peripheral regions in both Europe and Ireland. And you have a landform of river erosion or glacial erosion or marine erosion. I think you choose one of those to do in detail.

Physical stuff: No shortcuts really. You can let a few of the case studies fúck off if you like. You can't learn everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Ray Foley wrote: »
    I don't think you can really pick and choose. Anything can come up. Obviously you have your core and peripheral regions in both Europe and Ireland. And you have a landform of river erosion or glacial erosion or marine erosion. I think you choose one of those to do in detail.

Physical stuff: No shortcuts really. You can let a few of the case studies fúck off if you like. You can't learn everything.

Thanks!...
    There's just SO much it's crazy!..
    Has to be done I suppose =(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Read the syllabus. some books have a lot of worthless filler. The syllabus is to the point

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Get familiar with how questions are asked too. Some questions can be left very open i.e. you can answer on a large variety of topics and still be right. Some, however are much more closed. Maybe you would be able to find a trend in certain topics that have open/closed questions. An open topic would require less widespread study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

I think practising the exam papers is the best thing in geography, getting out good answers for the 30 mark question you can learn off...it is quite vast but if yu spilt it up into categories..physical, regional etc and write the questions that comes up in each and have them prepared its getting somewhere:)
    suppose everyone studies differently, I have the Shortcuts to Success book by Dan Sheedy, it does out some very good sample answers

theres also another one I've heard of that is meant to be really good..its exam skiils geography by sue honan

you might have them, good luck with it...I'm doing geography too and i'm the same...it hard to know where to start:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

I think practising the exam papers is the best thing in geography, getting out good answers for the 30 mark question you can learn off...it is quite vast but if yu spilt it up into categories..physical, regional etc and write the questions that comes up in each and have them prepared its getting somewhere:)
    suppose everyone studies differently, I have the Shortcuts to Success book by Dan Sheedy, it does out some very good sample answers

theres also another one I've heard of that is meant to be really good..its exam skiils geography by sue honan

you might have them, good luck with it...I'm doing geography too and i'm the same...it hard to know where to start:rolleyes:

Thanks I've heard recently those two books are supposed to be really good!...
    I think I'm going to buy Exam Skills Geography right now!...
    Thanks for your help!..
    Good luck to you too!
    Roll on the end of June,right?!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

There are certain questions which come up regularly, so learning them are a big help.
    For example, in physical:
    Formation of an Irish landform eg Waterfall / Ox Bow Lake
    Plates - formation / how it affects earthquakes or volcanoes
    Extraction of natural resource eg Mining / Quarrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

Roll on the end of June,right?!:o

yes indeed:rolleyes:..hopefully the geog exam will treat us nice;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

I did LC Geography and yeah there's an awful lot in it to learn but as someone else said the exam itself is one of the more predictable ones. Repetition of questions is very common even from one year to the next. I would also recommend the Geoecology option. Very short but there's not a lot they can ask you.

Advertisement