Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can I speak Irish-Dublin

Options
  • 02-12-2010 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

not sure if Conradh na Gaeilge has a list of businesses and shops in the capital where we can use our Gaeilge.

obvious places include the Conradh na Gaeilge bar, but if any of you know other places where Gaeilge is welcome it would be great if you cold make it known.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Whereabouts in Dublin are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Whereabouts in Dublin are you based?

i am based on the northside. i was in the ilac library and there is a ciorcal comhra even saturday morning, but that could be artificial.

the more possibilities to speak it the better. beatha an teanga i a labhairt.

no point in learning a language if nobody is willing to speak it.

there are still people around with chips on their shoulders against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Pop into Conradh na Gaeilge and find a ciorcal comhrá. It's how I have learned the Irish language. My grammar may not be 100% correct all of the time, but I am very confident in speaking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Ciorcal Comhrá i BÁC:

+353 (0)1 4757401
    Am: Gach Máirt ag 1.00 - 1.45in
    Áit: An Seomra Foirne (2-049), Sráid Áinséir, Institiúid Teicneolaíochta Bhaile Átha Cliath, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: elena.keany@dit.ie / ptbrowne@dit.ie

Am: Gach oíche Mháirt ag 8.30in
    Áit: Áras Chonradh na Gaeilge, Corrán Grattan, Inse Chór, Baile Átha Cliath 8.
    Teagmháil: Craobh Inse Chór +353 (0)1 4535814

Am: Gach Céadaoin ag 10.00 - 11.30rn
    Áit: An Bhutrach (bialann an Champais, The Buttery), Coláiste na Tríonóide, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Aonghus Dwane, Oifigeach Gaeilge gaeloifig@tcd.ie / www.tcd.ie/gaeloifig

Am: Gach Céadaoin ag 11.00rn
    Ionad: O'Briens Bagel Factory, 10 Sráid Fhearchair, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Síne Nic an Ailí +353 (0)1 4757401 / sine@cnag.ie

Am: Gach Déardaoin ag 11.00rn
    Áit: Bialann an champais, Sráid Bolton, Institiúid Teicneolaíochta Bhaile Átha Cliath, Baile Átha Cliath 1.
    Teagmháil: domhnall.sheridan@dit.ie

Am: Gach Aoine ag 1.00 - 2.00in
    Áit: Ionad Buail Isteach, Siopa Connolly Books, 43 Sráid Essex Thoir, Barra Temple, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Criostóir Ó Broin ionadbuailisteach@gmail.com / +353 (0)87 6662903

Am: An chéad Aoine den mhí ag 1.00in
    Áit: Camden Court Hotel, Sráid Camden, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Siobhán Nic Gaoithín gaeilge@dit.ie

Am: Gach Satharn ag 2.00 - 4.00in
    Áit: An Caifé Gaelach agus Ionad Deonach, 107 Sráid Amiens, Baile Átha Cliath 1.
    Teagmháil: Máire Ní Bheaglaoich ionadbuailisteach@gmail.com / +353 (0)87 6662903

Is Leor Beirt

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tenente

Aras Chronain in Clondalkin http://www.araschronain.ie/home.html

There is also a group on Facebook "BAC le Gaeilge" which suggest Irish Langauge events coming up in the city if you add them as a friend. If you are not on facebook there email address is listed as baclegaeilge@gmail.com which might be useful to you.

• Advertisement

Cultúrlann na hÉireann

I have been told that they are very friendly twords the use of Irish here too.:)

Tenente wrote: »
    Aras Chronain in Clondalkin http://www.araschronain.ie/home.html

There is also a group on Facebook "BAC le Gaeilge" which suggest Irish Langauge events coming up in the city if you add them as a friend. If you are not on facebook there email address is listed as baclegaeilge@gmail.com which might be useful to you.

am a member, but have yet to see a suitable event. internet is great.

i know when I lived in Galway Gaillimh le Gaeilge brought out a booklet with a list of businesses where Irish was welcome, but I guess Dublin is too big for that. I do not trust Gaeilge agus Failte signs as more often than not they are merely decorations.

a pity folks stopped wearing the fainne.

Sin É

Here is a Gaeilge pub.:)

Sin É

Here is a Gaeilge pub.:)

cool, I take it I can walk in and order my pint as Gaeilge as if it were perfectly normal language?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    cool, I take it I can walk in and order my pint as Gaeilge as if it were perfectly normal language?

Dunno, Never been there. Thats the implication though. If you manage to go in some time let us know if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Ceapaim go bhfuil sibh ró-dhóchasach maidir leis an áit sin. Chomh fada agus is eol domsa níl ann ach go bhfuil ainm gaeilge ar an áit. Dar ndóigh d'fhéadfadh duine le gaeilge a bheith in aice leat i ngan fhios duit (muna bhfuil aithne agat air/uirthi nó go bhfuil fáinne á chaitheamh aige/aici). Maidir leis an gCultúrlann i mBaile na Manach, bíonn roinnt daoine le gaeilge ann de ghnáth.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

I'd love to be able to go about my daily business in the city centre speaking Irish - not necessarily to have full blown conversations but even as much as 'hi, can I have 'X', how much, here you go, thanks, bye'. I just don't feel as though it is possible. If I saw a shop-assistant wearing a fáinne I would definitely try. Twice in the past couple of years I managed to do a transation through Irish - once in the Jameson distillery when I bought a signed bottle of whisky which had my name as Gaeilge on it. The assistant was Irish, had Irish and it was a delightful experience to have a bit of a spontaneous chat like that in Irish, and also recently in Waterstones on Dawson St where I bought an Irish language book and the girl serving me also had Irish and initiated a conversation about some new books that had come in that were great. I wish I could do more shopping like that as Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

snowfinch wrote: »
    also recently in Waterstones on Dawson St where I bought an Irish language book and the girl serving me also had Irish and initiated a conversation about some new books that had come in that were great. I wish I could do more shopping like that as Gaeilge.
    I was in Waterstones as well recently and the woman at the desk started speaking to me in Irish when she saw I was buying Cré na Cille. I wonder was it the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ulsteryank

An gcaitheann duine ar bith an fáinne anseo? Níor léigh mé thart sé anois. Níl mé líofa, ach táim ag foghlaim. B'fheidir ba mhaith liom ceann? Maith dom mo ghaeilge briste, is poncánach mé.

B'fheidir tá sin, 'An bhfuil an fáinne ag duine ar bith?' It would be nice if more people wore them. Since reading about them, I've noticed a few people in the past that had one. Being from the States, I'm only at a GCSE level, but am anxious to use Irish when I can.

I'm able to use plenty in west Belfat's an Chulúrlann, in the heart of the Ceathrún Gealtachta, but even then I'm nervous to initiate a conversation with a stranger. I've frequently heard it spoken on the street there, and since the Gaeltacht Quarter was extended into the city centre around Bank Square, have heard it spoken in pubs like The Hercules, Madens, & Kelly's Cellars. Kelly's actually offers free classes upstairs, and I am comfortable walking in and ordering pints as Gaeilge.

I ask about the Fáinne because I work throughout the whole of Ireland(am in Dublin frequently as well). It would be nice to maybe wear one if by chance some people still recognise them.

Ulsteryank wrote: »
    B'fheidir tá sin, 'An bhfuil an fáinne ag duine ar bith?' It would be nice if more people wore them. Since reading about them, I've noticed a few people in the past that had one. Being from the States, I'm only at a GCSE level, but am anxious to use Irish when I can.

I'm able to use plenty in west Belfat's an Chulúrlann, in the heart of the Ceathrún Gealtachta, but even then I'm nervous to initiate a conversation with a stranger. I've frequently heard it spoken on the street there, and since the Gaeltacht Quarter was extended into the city centre around Bank Square, have heard it spoken in pubs like The Hercules, Madens, & Kelly's Cellars. Kelly's actually offers free classes upstairs, and I am comfortable walking in and ordering pints as Gaeilge.

I ask about the Fáinne because I work throughout the whole of Ireland(am in Dublin frequently as well). It would be nice to maybe wear one if by chance some people still recognise them.

i wear the fainne cos it fits nicely onto the lapel of my jacket. in the past I used to get a slagging for wearing it and many regard it as passe, but its a nice way of knowing who is actually willing to speak the language. i just dont trust the Gaeilge agus failte signs in shops.

you can get get from Conradh na Gaeilge in Harcourt street

Go raibh céad maith agat a fhuinseog! Sílim go bhfuil ceannóchaidh mé ceann ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Seans go ndíoltar iad sa Chonradh anois, cé nach bhfaca mé ansin iad ariamh.
    Is cinnte go mbíonn siad ar díol ag Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge ar Shráid Chill Dara, B.Á.C. 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well it would seem you can buy a "Fáinne" from Gaelport online:

http://www.gaelport.com/anfainne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭feicim

Ulsteryank wrote: »

Its a pity B.Á.C. doesn't have one of these.

The only quarter we have is the *cough* "cultural" quarter of Temple bar.

• Advertisement

silim go bhfuil na cnocadoiri and rud is fearr. get fit while speaking the language.
    breathnaigh ar an suiomh idirlion

http://www.cnocadoiri.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Beatha teanga í a labhairt! Cuir tús leis an gComhrá
    Beidh Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge ag cur muintir na cathrach ag caint agus ag comhrá le chéile trí mheán na Gaeilge gach tráthnóna Dé Luain an tEarrach seo.

Beimid ag bualadh le chéile Dé Luain, 31 Eanáir 2011.

Beidh an ciorcal comhrá oiriúnach do dhaoine fásta ag gach leibhéal cumais.

Seo deis iontach do dhaoine feabhas a chur a gcuid Gaeilge labhartha in atmaisféar neamhfhoirmeálta agus bualadh le cairde nua ag an am ceanna.

Ionad:
    Cois Teallaigh
    Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge
    46 Sráid Chill Dara
    Baile Átha Cliath 2

Am: 5:30 – 7:00 i.n

Costas:
    €15 tréimhse 8 seachtaine (31 Eanáir-28 Márta 2011)

Advertisement