Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com + San Francisco Android Smartphone

Options
  • 02-12-2010 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hey, check this out - San Francisco smart phone running Eclair 2.1 is available on play.com for 139 euro, but, a big but.... in white :eek: no grey version available.. hmmm... what you reckon?

Before you jump the gun and say play.com will not ship overseas... but use a UK address which could be acquired by borderlinx.com or dealhunter.ie...

What do you reckon with being seen with a white handset? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I read somewhere that that version has the LCD screen and 250MB ram instead of the AMOLED and 512MB of the ones in the orange store. Not sure how reliable that info was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

I read somewhere that that version has the LCD screen and 250MB ram instead of the AMOLED and 512MB of the ones in the orange store. Not sure how reliable that info was though.

The odd thing was it was stated that spec 3 days ago, 256MB RAM and LCD, but now that's changed to 512MB RAM and OLED..... ?? dunno who's tellin the truth?:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

t0mm13b wrote: »
    The odd thing was it was stated that spec 3 days ago, 256MB RAM and LCD, but now that's changed to 512MB RAM and OLED..... ?? dunno who's tellin the truth?:eek:

Ah, they must have had the wrong specs on it. Not too bad so. I should be heading to the UK in January so if I haven't gotten a new phone by then I might pick one of these up. Even if I do, I still might get it just to have a decent cheapo backup phone.

ahh yeah.... will check back on modaco.com to confirm this.... was tempted in doing an extreme day of travel, from Limerick to Belfast in one day.... will hold it for a few days... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

I got the grey version from orange and I have to say its a very nice phone.
    It seems to be out of stock now for payg on the orange website and the white version on play.com is on pre-order. It has an OLED screen and 512 ram btw. Comes with 2.1 but a 2.2beta is available.

• Advertisement

The white version, seems to have some crappy paint work on it.... like... put into pocket with coins, the scratches will show up.... hmmmm.... not good... apart from the spec... it seems hazy on modaco.com that there's no definite line on whether it has 512MB RAM and OLED screen.... No doubt that this popular handset will cause stock shortage all over the shop so to speak....

But the white looks kind of ummm "girly" ftw.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Why dont you get the Orange store to ship to dealhunter?

I have the grey one, but to be honest its hidden inside a case most of the time! From the pictures the grey one looks nicer, I've never seen a white one up close though.

Another option is ebay.

This link may be worth keeping an eye on

The seller has spelt francisco wrong, so it hopefully means less people will see it :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Won't it be locked to the Orange network?

Free unlock codes online :)

• Advertisement

Yo! Check this out... Got a good deal here.... wait and see if the order's gone through.... Register your UK address with borderlinx.com and then wait and see... somehow it accepted my BoI Laser/Maestro.... wait and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Looks like a good deal. Am a bit worried about this though . . .Internal Memory: 150 MB and no mention of whether the screen is OLED or LCD.. Great price though!

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dango

I'm interested in this too.

I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of internal memory as i'm sure apps can be run off a microsd card.

That e2save website is getting some dodgy reviews regarding delivery on review centre http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews4384.html I hope it works as it looks like a viable option instead of going up north! It's so bloody awkward!

dango wrote: »
    I'm interested in this too.

I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of internal memory as i'm sure apps can be run off a microsd card.

That e2save website is getting some dodgy reviews regarding delivery on review centre http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews4384.html I hope it works as it looks like a viable option instead of going up north! It's so bloody awkward!

Ahhh fcek.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Ahhh fcek.... :(

indeed sir, gonna get this or iphone 3g.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Thinking of getting this phone too once unlocked how do you go about using it on an irish network, would you not need settings? and if the phone isnt sold in ireland would irish network have settings for this phone?

Fcek... I think e2save.com has problems with my BoI Laser/Maestro combo plastic card....
    :( meh....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dango

Fcek... I think e2save.com has problems with my BoI Laser/Maestro combo plastic card....

Might be better off...

aye.... so that means.... a darn trip to either Newry or Belfast (if the stock has diminished in Newry, there's a 1 in 4 chances that belfast will have 'em)...

would you consider a day trip to belfast pushing it? ????

I said it on the Modaco forum too, our maestro cards arent the same and wont work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

was considering a day trip to belfast for it myself but not really worth it as based in Mayo.
    anybody go for this at all in the end? gonna pick one up soonish me thinks.
    seems like a steal for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

A great phone and well worth the hassle I think. Delighted with it as I'm a rookie with the whole Android thing.

Easiest option is to get a friend/relative to post one over from the UK.

Advertisement