Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man arressted for having 80k !

Options
  • 01-12-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/customs-arrest-man-in-possession-of-80k-484015.html

Apparently it's an arrestable offence to have 80k on you now ... unless of course you're Ivor Callely and you can unethically extract it from the tax payer.

I was listening to this story on the way home and I kept waiting for the missing bit .... 80k of coke, 80k of heroin ... 80k of what? Nope .. just 80k! I can understand that there may be technicalities around declaring that you're taking a certain amount of money out of the country but c'mon!

I can't help but think I that I now live in a country where owning money is a sin, against the law and the government will do everything in it's power to make sure you'll never have any!

Even though the guy they caught was probably a complete skobe :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This is taking our name of "Nation of begrudgers" way too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Erm... this rule has been in place for years and not only in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

It is not illegal to carry €80k or indeed any amount of money, but it is an offense to try carry that amount of cash out of the country, or indeed into that country and that applies to most "western" counties.
    iirc the limit is about €10k, and is in place to counter counterfeiting operations

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

As far as I know, if you have over €6300 when leaving the country -you must declare it to customs.
    This person was probably after passing airport security and awaiting boarding so technically broke the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The only reason you would carry 80k in cash to another country is guaranteed to be illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Didn't some pensioner lose 80k the other week when he left it on the roof of his car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP you left "for transporting out of the country" out of your thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

For legal gains we have things called bank accounts. You can access them from other countries.

Although you have to think that these guys get a tip off. I've been through customs hundreds of times and have never been patted down. I could easily have been wearing a money belt stuffed full of cash on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Well it probably wasn't obtained through legal methods if he's bringing it back to england in cash :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Maybe it's something to do with this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1126/breaking5.html

"Man loses £80k from roof of car" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Dudess wrote: »
    OP you left "for transporting out of the country" out of your thread title.

I leave lots of things out of lots of places .... whaddya gonna do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Although you have to think that these guys get a tip off. I've been through customs hundreds of times and have never been patted down. I could easily have been wearing a money belt stuffed full of cash on numerous occasions.
    Sniffer dog?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

messymess wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/customs-arrest-man-in-possession-of-80k-484015.html

Apparently it's an arrestable offence to have 80k on you now ... unless of course you're Ivor Callely and you can unethically extract it from the tax payer.

I was listening to this story on the way home and I kept waiting for the missing bit .... 80k of coke, 80k of heroin ... 80k of what? Nope .. just 80k! I can understand that there may be technicalities around declaring that you're taking a certain amount of money out of the country but c'mon!

I can't help but think I that I now live in a country where owning money is a sin, against the law and the government will do everything in it's power to make sure you'll never have any!

Even though the guy they caught was probably a complete skobe :)

Apparently it's not. He wasn't arrested for having 80K, he was arrested for not declaring.

What a stupid fcuking thread...

Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dacelonid wrote: »
    It is not illegal to carry €80k or indeed any amount of money, but it is an offense to try carry that amount of cash out of the country, or indeed into that country and that applies to most "western" counties.
    iirc the limit is about €10k, and is in place to counter counterfeiting operations

You can bring as much as you like, but over 10,000 must be decalred to customs on entry.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Apparently it's not. He wasn't arrested for having 80K, he was arrested for not declaring.

What a stupid fcuking thread...

Case closed.

"A man in his 40's has been arrested at Dublin Airport after being found in possession of almost €80,000"

Maybe I'm a bit stupid ... can you point out the bit where it says he was arrested for not declaring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

messymess wrote: »
    "A man in his 40's has been arrested at Dublin Airport after being found in possession of almost €80,000"

Maybe I'm a bit stupid ... can you point out the bit where it says he was arrested for not declaring it?

Very next line says that...
    Customs officers made the discovery yesterday as the British national was about to board a flight to London.

... whiche means he was more than likely past the point of declaration.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sniffer dog?

Quite possibly. Customs dog team was going around departure gates in Dublin Airport a couple of weeks ago when I was there, checking departing passengers. Saw them plenty of times before in the baggage claim area, but that was the first time I saw them checking passengers leaving the country...

Advertisement