Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pint of Blackcurrant

Options
  • 01-12-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,

Just wondering what you think of this.

Was in the Odeon on hardcourt street recently and was getting a pint of blackcurrant for our designated driver. Handed the barman €2 for the drink and he disappeared off, I was waiting on my change. When he didn't reappear the guy next to me said I should ask what the story was, so I asked a different barman what's the price for a dash of blackcurrant. He said about a euro. After a while the first guy reappeared and I asked him for my change - he was really rude about it and said that was the price of the drink.

I can't believe this could be the going rate for basically a pint of iced water with a dash of mi-wadi? Sure you'd buy the whole bottle at that price. I could be very wrong but his bad attitude suggested that he was probably pocketing the €2 and didn't put it through the till at all.

Anyway it's not somewhere I'd be likely to return to....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have seen a few places around the country that charge around that, seems pubs and clubs make most of their money on the soft drinks, huge mark up on all of them.

Was even more surprised in my own local one night and was charged nothing for my pint of Mi Wadi.

Real bad luck though about encoutering that chancer though OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A similar post was in the "rip off ireland" forum before, it was €1 a pint, I replied
    rubadub wrote: »
    so say 568ml in the glass to the brim is 113.6ml of miwadi per pint. They come in 1L bottles so 8.8 dashes per bottle. 1L in tesco is €1.79 so say 20cent per dash. So charging you 5 times the price, or a 80cent surcharge/profit.

This sounds like a very good deal to me, many bottles of beer can be got for under a euro these days yet they are €4.50-5.50 in most pubs I go to, so roughly 5 times the price too, but a hell of a lot more profit per drink. Coffee costs about 15-25cent per cup to make and is usually €2-3 in pubs. A pint of coke in my local costs €8.40.

In your case it is 10 times the price (omitting glass cleaning, ice, overheads etc), but still a €1.80 surcharge. €2 does sound a lot but it is pretty much in-line with other prices, like slapping €4.50 on a bottle of heineken-though I would say he was a chancer. You could email them, just to let it be known they have lost a customer.
    http://www.odeon.ie/contact.html

Town is littered with pubs, a tiny incident like this would sway me, just like a pub with a nice tiny touch like free bowls of nuts or sausages would sway me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

€6.80 for a vodka and coke in that Odeon place too. Wouldn't set foot in there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fransgone

Well I definitely won't be going back to the Odeon. It's not the first time I heard about rip-offs in there..but I was astounded about that price for a pint of diluted blackcurrant!!

There's no justification for the price and the bad attitude..disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good username fran! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement