Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A beginners guide to making money on horse racing

Options
  • 01-12-2010 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi Folks,

I started to write a blog post on my website for poker players who like to also have the odd bet on the horses for the simple reason that I know a lot of very good poker players who are terrible when it comes to picking horses. They dont put in the work which is strange considering all the effort they put into learning all the poker concepts and strategy.

Anyways the blog post turned in a 3000 word plus article and I feel it now reads like a very thorough beginners guide for anyone who wants to start taking their horse racing betting to the next level.

I have actually stopped betting on horses but from 2001-2008 I had 6-7 winning years which produced some modest profits following the guidelines that I outline in this article. The last year was my first losing year as it was also the first year I found online poker and started taking that serious as I found the instant gratification of poker cash games alot more appealling and just a profitable.

I did try to get back into betting earlier last year but just could not find the time to give it justice. However come big festivals like Cheltenham and Aintree, I end up putting 40-60 hours work into analysing races to find some +EV selections and going by last years results at Cheltenham and Aintree, this guide works as well today as it did in 2007.

I didn't go into the in and outs of only betting when you think there is value as this is a crossover post from poker players who already have a good understanding of value and +,0 or - EV concept.

I have also asked x PyRo if I could post this link here to the article and and he has kindly agreed.

Finally, one of the best things about punting on horses is that alot of people have a lot of different opinions, so Im sure some of you will disagree with a lot of what I wrote and please feel free to post anything that you think should have been included in the article.

Professional Poker Player Transition to Sports Betting - Where's the +EV in Horse Racing Systems

Cheers
    Rakebackblogger

Advertisement