Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Subscription Service

Options
  • 01-12-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey folks,

Looking to get the old man a sort of coffee-of-the-month (coffee beans, that is) style subscription for Christmas. Would anyone be able to recommend a particular service?

This looks pretty handy. What do you guys reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Has Bean have been recommended here quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

James Gourmet Coffee also great.

http://www.jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product.php?xProd=299&xSec=29

Any one of Hasbean, Square Mile or James Gourmet coffee = excellent.

Coffeebeans.ie - not so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

Hasbean
    In my mug subscription, weekly, 52 × 250g = 13kg costs £216 to send to Ireland. Works out at £16.62 per kilo.

James Gourmet
    • 2 bag subscription, monthly, 12 × 2 × 250g = 6kg costs £105.80 to send to Ireland. Works out at £17.63 per kilo.
    • 1 bag subscription, monthly, 12 × 1 × 250g = 3kg costs £61.55 to send to Ireland. Works out at £20.52 per kilo.

Square Mile
    Europe subscription, monthly, 12 × 350g = 4.2kg costs £123 to send to Ireland. Works out at £29.29 per kilo.

coffeebeans.ie
    Monthly 1lb subscription, 12 × 454g = 5.448kg costs €195 to send to Ireland. Works out at €35.79 per kilo. Translating to sterling to compare with the others, that's £30.29 per kilo.

If RE*AC*TOR is right (and I have no reason to doubt it) then coffeebeans.ie are not only lowest quality but highest price. OTOH, I can't see how Steve makes a profit on his In My Mug subscription (he did increase it a bit during the last year) and the James Gourmet 2 bag subscription is nearly as cheap. I currently have an In My Mug subscription and it's incredible: excellent coffee week after week, and after a few weeks you've forgotten paying the £216 and it seems to be free! I'm thinking of adding a James Gourmet subscription to my portfolio!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Unfortunately......Bailies are posting every three weeks now as opposed to weekly. So, I'm getting three bags of the same single estate in one lot.
    Not as good as the old service of a different bean every week.
    But, hey, still good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Agree that James Gourmet's coffee is excellant. I don't have his subscription but he supplies our coffee for us in work (Joe's). His roast profile is a little darker then some but excellent none the less.

Advertisement