Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I use a s 110v without transformer/adapter.

Options
  • 01-12-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Product: Candle warmer , 110v , 20 watts power output.

Q: can I use a s 110v without transformer/adapter.?

If i wired to 3pin plug would it overheat/blow fuse. ? !

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yes. It will blow/overheat!

Although check it because a lot of transformers will accept 110V - 240V.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Jonathan wrote: »
    Yes.

Although check it because a lot of transformers will accept 110V - 240V.

So you want to use a 110 V device on 230 V supply, is that what you're asking?

If so I think Jonathan means "Yes" as in, it will overheat or blow a fuse...as in DO NOT do it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Post edited. Didn't realise the ambiguity. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

As above. You will be supplying it with double its rated load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

pieface_ie wrote: »
    As above. You will be supplying it with double its rated load.

Think you'd actually be supplying 4 times it's rated load. Around 86W by my calculations. That thing would melt for sure.

Op, given that it's a device for heating something I doubt it has a transformer, probably a simple heating element so you most
    definitely cannot plug this in here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Think you'd actually be supplying 4 times it's rated load. Around 86W by my calculations. That thing would melt for sure.

Yes sorry Redsie you are correct, il know in future not to pull figures off the top of my head without calculating.

P= V x I
    I= 20w/110 I= 0.1818181A

V = I x Z
    Z= 110v/0.1818181A Z= 605ohms

P= V*squared/Z
    P= 240*squared/605ohms P=95.20w

95.20watts

Advertisement