Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access 2007 - query problem

Options
  • 01-12-2010 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, I'm quite new to Databases in general and SQL so I'm not exactly sure how to handle this query I've made.

My code is as follows:
    [SIZE=1]SELECT CUST_NAME, MAX(AMOUNT) AS TOTAL_PURCHASES, YEAR

FROM (
              SELECT C.CUST_NAME AS CUST_NAME, SUM(O.QUANTITY) AS QUANTITY,
                         SUM(B.PRICE*O.QUANTITY) AS AMOUNT, YEAR(O.DATE) AS YEAR

FROM CUSTOMERS AS C, ORDERS AS O, BOOKS AS B

WHERE C.CUST_ID = O.CUSTOMER_ID AND O.BOOK_ID = B.ISBN

GROUP BY YEAR(O.DATE), C.CUST_NAME
         )

GROUP BY CUST_NAME, YEAR

ORDER BY YEAR;[/SIZE]

What I want to do is end up with a table with three rows and three columns. The columns shall be CUST_NAME, TOTAL_PURCHASES, YEAR. The idea of the query is to obtain the three highest paying customers per year. By excluding the CUST_NAME in the first SELECT and the last GROUP BY I can get the top three purchases per customer per year but that leaves me without the company's name which is what I need.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide on this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

looking into the code, it looks fine, as i have not seen anything mentioned about company's name.
    its a little confusing here, like you have three columns and rows whhere you have three attributes, is the company name in another table, are your trying to join them together??

I am a little rusty with DB haven't used in years, but what i see you are missing to join a table assuming there is one for company's name!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Sorry, I realised only now that I said company name rather than customer name. What I want to end up with is the customer name and the amount they purchased per year.

I mixed up company and customer because my database is based on me being a warehouse and other companies buying from me, so are therefore my customers.

By only doing the inner SELECT I get the following output table:

firstselect.png

So now I was just wondering how to get from that down to only the top purchaser for each year?

Advertisement