Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin based Sole Trader doing business in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 30-11-2010 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm a sole trader running sports camps in Dublin. I'm looking at running these camps in Northern Ireland as well. Do I need to set-up/fill out anything in order to do this or do I just run the camp and include the figures in my normal accounts? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Next question, If I were to live 175 days of the year in Northern Ireland (renting a house), 175 days a year in Dublin (renting a house) and the remaining days on holiday. It is my understanding that 183 days confirms residency. Would this mean I would not be liable to income tax in either country?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SRASE

If you are Irish resident you don't need to register for income tax in the North unless you are trading through a permanent establishment in the North.

Residency rules are 183 days in one year or 280 days over two years. Therefore, if you spend 175 days in Ireland every year you will be an Irish resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

LCMont wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a sole trader running sports camps in Dublin. I'm looking at running these camps in Northern Ireland as well. Do I need to set-up/fill out anything in order to do this or do I just run the camp and include the figures in my normal accounts? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Next question, If I were to live 175 days of the year in Northern Ireland (renting a house), 175 days a year in Dublin (renting a house) and the remaining days on holiday. It is my understanding that 183 days confirms residency. Would this mean I would not be liable to income tax in either country?

Thanks in advance!

There is a way to become a fiscal nomad and pay no tax but its complicated. You'd want to have a whopper of a tax bill to make it worth while paying the tax advisors bill on that one.

Advertisement