Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of help with my bass

Options
  • 30-11-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Okay so i just got my preamp through the door.
    I wanted to check it out so i grabbed my bass and stuck it into the d/i at the front.

Now,I cant play bass.I own a bass and im in the process of learning how to play it so im not too clued up with the inner workings of a bass.

So when i play a note on my bass it doesnt register on the VU metre on the preamp.
    Ive followed the instructions in the manual and when i tap the end of the lead the VU metre registers a signal.

So im thinking it could be a fault with my bass,is that what it sounds like to you folks and if so whats the likely problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Sorry if this sounds facetious but are you sure the volume knobs on the bass are turned up? After that I'd reckon it's a problem with the pickups or the jack input or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Sorry if this sounds facetious but are you sure the volume knobs on the bass are turned up? After that I'd reckon it's a problem with the pickups or the jack input or something.
    Yeah its turned up all the way,gave em a fiddle too.
    Are pickups expensive to replace?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

is it an active bass that needs a battery?

jtsuited wrote: »
    is it an active bass that needs a battery?
    eh im not sure

I think its this one

http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Fender_Deluxe_Jazz_Bass_V__5-String__Electric_Bass_Guitar__013-6860_.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

seannash wrote: »
    what???? you have a 5 string sean???

oh and that's an active bass so it needs a battery.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    what???? you have a 5 string sean???

oh and that's an active bass so it needs a battery.
    Yeah,It wasnt an educated decision.A mate of mine played a 5 string so i got one as i thought it was the norm.

Oh cool,maybe its a simple battery replace.Ill check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Seannash,
    Would you not simply plug the bass guitar into any amp that would then give you most of the answers your looking for. If nothing sounds thru the amp when amp volumes are up then the problem is with the guitar.

Re input signal moving when moving cord, that wouldn't say much, infact if wire was just connect to the input without the guitar, touching the tip of the lead will sometimes register on the preamp input. Its not good practise to do this you could be shorting the tip and sleeve also static energy could tigger movement on the input meter.

If active Bass - yep check the battery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Seannash,
    Would you not simply plug the bass guitar into any amp that would then give you most of the answers your looking for. If nothing sounds thru the amp when amp volumes are up then the problem is with the guitar.

Sean doesn't have an amp. He rocks the Mac and the Mouse.

Or two turntables and microphone.

Seannash,

Re input signal moving when moving cord, that wouldn't say much, infact if wire was just connect to the input without the guitar, touching the tip of the lead will sometimes register on the preamp input. Its not good practise to do this you could be shorting the tip and sleeve also static energy could tigger movement on the input meter.

If active Bass - yep check the battery.
    Yep as KRD said i dont have an amp :o
    Ill check the battery first and see if that works
    cheers

Yep as KRD said i dont have an amp :o
    Ill check the battery first and see if that works
    cheers

You probably have a mixer though.

Plug the bass into a mic socket - you should hear at least a faint bit of the bass.

If it's an active - which more than likely it is - not that an active pickup is any better than a non active - but if a "person" wants 5 strings in their bass you can be sure they'll want active pickups too. It'll need a battery.

Active pickups are great in the sense, sometimes you can go ages without having to change the battery - then the battery will decide to die while you're on stage.

And before an argument breaks out on which is better - the Fender precision does not have an active pick up. It doesn't need one - it is precise - it doesn't need a battery.

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »
    You probably have a mixer though.

Plug the bass into a mic socket - you should hear at least a faint bit of the bass.

If it's an active - which more than likely it is - not that an active pickup is any better than a non active - but if a "person" wants 5 strings in their bass you can be sure they'll want active pickups too. It'll need a battery.

Active pickups are great in the sense, sometimes you can go ages without having to change the battery - then the battery will decide to die while you're on stage.

And before an argument breaks out on which is better - the Fender precision does not have an active pick up. It doesn't need one - it is precise - it doesn't need a battery.
    Nope no mixer,just back so i havent acquired a dj setup yet

Nope no mixer,just back so i havent acquired a dj setup yet

There is a Navjoh saying "A DJ without his mixer, is like a brave without his horse"

OK. I've taken a liberty in the transliteration. But who speaks Navjoh any more - and I bet they did say something like that.

Have you tried talking to your bass guitar - you know playing the bass is like making love to a beautiful woman

Talk to her.

Talk to your bass. Say you're going to treat her well, not like the last biatch assed modafuka who owned her.

I swear, this sh1t works, no one knows how.

krd wrote: »
    There is a Navjoh saying "A DJ without his mixer, is like a brave without his horse"

OK. I've taken a liberty in the transliteration. But who speaks Navjoh any more - and I bet they did say something like that.

Have you tried talking to your bass guitar - you know playing the bass is like making love to a beautiful woman

Talk to her.

Talk to your bass. Say you're going to treat her well, not like the last biatch assed modafuka who owned her.

I swear, this sh1t works, no one knows how.
    Yeah ive been traveling around australia for the past year so lugging around audio equipment wanst a priority.I sold all my dj equipment when i was leaving New York.

I will eventually get a new setup but ive got other priorities at the moment

Ill leave the bass talking to yourself i think:)

Well, at least let us know how you got on with the bass.

Was it the battery?

Or pre-amp?

Or is the bass French Connection UK'd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

if you plug headphones into an active bass and you should hear it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Did you sort out the bass?

Dord wrote: »
    Did you sort out the bass?
    I actually had to pack up the preamp and wrap it(its a christmas pressie from the missus) so i didnt investigate it any further.I will do after christmas:D

Advertisement