Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Art

Options
  • 30-11-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Mmmh... I've spent some time googling and I haven't come up with any answers so perhaps you guys can help!

I'd like to... in the future... sell some art on the side. I'm not looking to make much money from this, if I can sell enough to restock my supplies I'll be ecstatic.

For anyone who is selling their work - how on earth does this square up with the revenue?

I'm not trying to set up a business, I don't plan on making thousands (or hundreds :o ) so do you need to register with them? Can I just set up a store or a website where you purchase via paypal and just keep records of sales should any queries be raised in the future.

Don't worry, I'm not looking for legal advice, really just like to know other peoples experiences with selling their work or if anyone can point me to any websites that might explain this in english! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Hi

You don't need to register a business for VAT unless your turnover is over €37,500 (services) or €75,000 (goods): details here

Artist's income is exempt from tax: details here

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Treasurebin you're an absolute star!

I was aware of the artist exemption but for some reason I thought they had changed that... touch wood!!!

On the other hand it's a pity we can't claim tax back on supplies :D (I guess you could if you registered with them & you were a major seller).

I can dream....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

No problem. ;)

Yep, you're right - you could claim back tax if you were registered for VAT but then you'd have to pay them a chunk of your earnings. :( Best not to do that if at all possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

neelyohara wrote: »
    Treasurebin you're an absolute star!

I was aware of the artist exemption but for some reason I thought they had changed that... touch wood!!!

On the other hand it's a pity we can't claim tax back on supplies :D (I guess you could if you registered with them & you were a major seller).

I can dream....:p

I think it will be change to €40,000 per year tax-free limit. So (I guess) you should be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Here's the artists exemption bit treasureBin mentioned - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/artists-exemption.html

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    I think it will be change to €40,000 per year tax-free limit. So (I guess) you should be fine!

LOL.. yeah, I'll be more than fine! I'll probably pay more in listing fees than I'll ever recoup! :D

Will wrote: »
    Here's the artists exemption bit treasureBin mentioned - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/artists-exemption.html

Thanks Will. I've no idea why I thought they scrapped it!

Hurrah... happy days! :D

Advertisement