Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well here I go !

Options
  • 30-11-2010 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

So I'm on day one of giving up stopping smoking.

Hopefully writing this thread will help me keep on the straight and narrow;)

I'm 28 now and have been smoking since I was about 16.
    God that's a lot! 12 years of stink and wheezing and killing myself.

I think my main reason for giving up is health. Lately iv been feeling very unfit. Even running up the stairs will give me a fast heartbeat for a while after. A feeling of tightness in my chest and then the fear of health problems caused because I know smoking causes these problems and then this stresses me out which strangely causes me to smoke more thus increasing the stress and sleeplessness.

12 years of wasted money. At today's price that would work out at about €65,000+ :rolleyes:. What a shame. Not only the cost of Cigs but the additional cost like lighters and matches and chewing gum and burned clothes that I have had to throw away.

Other main reason is time. I'm spending too much time smoking! At work and more so at home. I create reasons to stay at home in order to smoke. Will rarely visit friends because I can't smoke at theirs. Afraid to invite them over because I will feel bad for smoking while they are in the same room so its outside for me in my own house. I want more time to do the things that I enjoy not stay up all night watching TV until I finish the box!!

I want to spend my Friday nights with other people instead of staying in and smoking on my own. Yes I think I really do this! :eek:

At work I never seem to get my work finished in the time provided i.e. 9-5. I seem to be taking work home in the evening but then maybe if I don't take so many smoke breaks then I can get more work done and get out the door on time and leave the laptop at work!!!

I had set my start or, Stop date to be tomorrow but I watched the Alan Carr video last night and it convinced me to pick today.
    I had one cigarettes left in the box this morning so while the car defrosted I smoked MY last one EVER

so its nearly EOD at work and it wasn't that bad really. Had a nice lunch which I normally skip and have a Coffee and Ciggy instead.

11 and 3 break times were not so bad even though I was talking to a smoker who even offered one to me. I told him I was a happy non smoker :).

Then later I had a guy popped over and asked me for a cigarette. I said "NO I DON'T SMOKE" he said "Have You Given Up" I replied "No, not given up, I have stopped"

so I think I've been pretty well distracted today with work and I have plenty of jobs to keep me busy for the evening.

I have given Up before about 4-5 years ago because I was completely BROKE . That lasted about 3 months but relapsed after a good drinking session.

I'm still working through the Alan Carr audio book so hopefully that will get me distracted in the car where a lot of my smoking takes place.

Well I will be back later just to say that I've reached and survived day one :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cailindeas25

It's fantastic that you have decided to take back control and not let nicotine control you. Have you checked out the whyquit website, i have found it excellent, such a big help when i'm feeling a bit weak. The best of luck!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Well done JoeySully. To your continued success!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Thanks for the motivational replies Guys :D.

So Day 2 nearly over and all went well really. It seems I ate a lot of oranges today though ;) guess everyone is sick of me peeling them in the office.. ohh well.

GOt a great night sleep last night which I was quite surprised by and woke up nice and fresh this morning. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better. Drinking more water instead off 10 cups of coffee now too.

Cooking dinner again tonight which is unusual for me - takeaway for me normally. Fresh food is nice when you can taste it ;)

I'm trying to stay positive hopefully I can keep it going. Lots of times of Ohh ill have a fag now moments but the were quickly quashed.

Roll on day 3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

So far, so good. Keep it up!

Advertisement