Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People cycling around (in the snow)

Options
  • 30-11-2010 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I've seen three fallers so. Two seriously hurt..

Are you still cycling in the slush? If so, can you tell me what is going through your head, I can't fathom it! :pac:

Anyone else see anything funny? I guess it's not really funny seeing someone hurting themselves, but if they're silly enough to cycle in this weather they probably deserve it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I saw some knacker kids throwing snowballs at a cyclist. Fecking scumbags :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Cycled around town sunday, and into work yesterday. If you are anyway decent on a bike you should be safe enough, just no acute turns or jamming on the brakes. Seen more people fall walking around than on bikes.

OisinT wrote: »
    I saw some knacker kids throwing snowballs at a cyclist. Fecking scumbags :rolleyes:

some kids were throwing snowballs at cars along the road. They hit one and flashing blue lights came on. Under cover mondeo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I nearly killed myself 3 times walking to work this morning, if I went near a bike the thing would probably blow up, knowing my luck.

Though pelting people with snowballs and then cycling off does sound tempting in a knackery way................*strokes chin*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've seen three motor cars in a ditch and abandoned at the side of the road this morning and two yesterday so. I'm sure there must've been injuries..

Are you still motoring in the slush? If so, can you tell me what is going through your head, I can't fathom it!

Anyone else see anything funny? I guess it's not really funny seeing someone hurting themselves, but if they're silly enough to drive in this weather they probably deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

snubbleste wrote: »
    I've seen three motor cars in a ditch and abandoned at the side of the road this morning and two yesterday so. I'm sure there must've been injuries..

Are you still motoring in the slush? If so, can you tell me what is going through your head, I can't fathom it!

Anyone else see anything funny? I guess it's not really funny seeing someone hurting themselves, but if they're silly enough to drive in this weather they probably deserve it.

Motor cars are a lot more stable going through slush than a bicycle. 4 wheels vs. 2. I don't think it's a good idea to do either, but cycling seems to be far more personally risky given the speeds people go in cars in snow.

Not to mention seatbelts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Grandad? Is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I chanced it yesterday morning, it ain't so bad on roads with plenty of traffic, but I was a lot more cautious than usual. You'd definitely be more likely to fall on your arse walking on the footpath (even if the injury isn't as likely to be as bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cycled in snow plenty of times.

Off road on a half decent MTB, great fun. On road, not as fun on any bike.

A fall on black ice will hurt big, you go down faster and harder on that stuff.

If you must cycle on the road in this weather, do not touch the front brake at all, aviod any studden movements, keep the steering as gentle as possible, and keep the toe clips and cleats at home.

I have the scars and the bruises.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's good craic when the roads aren't sheets of ice like Kimmage Road Lower was today.

Cycling is still a good measure quicker and safer than walking and quicker than driving (with less potential for costly damage). Granted it took a whopping 80 minutes to cycle 13km this morning (about twice the normal), but it took my wife 3 hours to make the same trip by bus, and walking it would be a minimum of 3 hours and very sore ankles trying not to fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm waiting for the same idiot last year who suggested cyclists should drive in the middle of the road at the white line as it was too dangerous near the edge of the road..
    Good job most cyclists have the common sense not to especially seeing the idiot who overtook 3 cards this morning and only got back into his own lane on a bend...I was praying he'd skid into the ditch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    especially seeing the idiot who overtook 3 cards this morning .

He's clearly not playing with a full deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

had a ramble about town sat on a bike, came off it while someone i knew outside a night club was calling me it was funny as fcuk i jumped up laughing so i can see the funny side in that but hurt i wouldn have been so happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

some kids were throwing snowballs at cars along the road. They hit one and flashing blue lights came on. Under cover mondeo :D

I drive a black mondeo, hub caps and all. The little feckers always put their hands behind their backs and try and act innocent when I drive by. It works for boy racer gobsheens too. I love my fake garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

God damn it. I'm over fifty posts now and still no second star. Nuts to you boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Quiet you wrote: »
    God damn it. I'm over fifty posts now and still no second star. Nuts to you boards.

Only another 50 to go. I think....

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the same idiot last year who suggested cyclists should drive in the middle of the road at the white line as it was too dangerous near the edge of the road..
    Good job most cyclists have the common sense not to especially seeing the idiot who overtook 3 cards this morning and only got back into his own lane on a bend...I was praying he'd skid into the ditch..

Maybe a different idiot or not as much of an idiot

:p

;)

But when I cycle on the road, I do it assertively, I dont brake the rules, but I worry more about other peoples road skills more than my own, and cycling at the edge of the road can be dangerious. I have lost count of the number of times I have had passngers open their doors in traffic without looking, everytype of vechle turning left right in front of me without looking and no indicators, lorrys coming so close the kerb I have had to dismount, and having to quick escapes to to the pavement for cars undertaking other cars turning right again without looking, and moterbikes thinking that they can use a cyclelane, even when it joins the pavement.

Now I would not encourage cycling along the central line, although I have done on ocassions in stationary traffic, for the above reasons, but generally, I would cycle alittle bit away from the kerb in slow moving or town/city type traffic again for all of the above reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 markear1

I cycled to work in Dublin today and yesterday. If you stick the main roads it is a lot safer than walking on the paths, the roads are well treated. I just go slowly, no quick cornering and don't jam on the breaks. It's a bit of fun avoiding the little feckers throwing snowballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sykk wrote: »
    Are you still cycling in the slush? If so, can you tell me what is going through your head, I can't fathom it! :pac:
    I cycled to work and back today, using the roads rather than cycle lanes. Not a bother, just really wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Cops in Cork this morning had no problem, even cycling on the footpaths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

MTB, snow tyres, mountains = bliss :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

I'm in the sticks, so the cycling is a lot more hazardous! It's all about the snow walk; little steps and lift your knees high like a knob!! It works but I look like a duck walking...

great quack:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Blaaa

I saw one guy tryin to stear his bile while on the phone today !! What gooes through sum people's heads !!

I cycled yesterday, had ice tyres on. Was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

If you must cycle, be sure to use the back brake only. Using the front brake is very dangerous if the roads are slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

crazy photo of a man cycling with a child :mad: in the evening herald
    that poor child could have been seriously hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

but if they're silly enough to drive in this weather they probably deserve it.

NEWSFLASH: Some people have to work for a living

If you must cycle, be sure to use the back brake only. Using the front brake is very dangerous if the roads are slippy.

Its pure lunacy, if you do it once, you will never do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Blaaa wrote: »
    I saw one guy tryin to stear his bile while on the phone today !! What gooes through sum people's heads !!

he must have been pretty pissed off with who he was talking to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't know how anyone could cycle in these conditions. Even walking is stressful

Advertisement