Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove to heat 30 radiators

Options
  • 30-11-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Afternoon all,

I'm removating my house and more or less splitting it in 2 (to have a large Granny flat). The trouble is that the house now has about 30 radiators give or take.

I need to know what solid fuel stove would be recommended. I've seen the Hercules 30b, the Arrow Stratford and the Boru Carraig Mor. But I'm really none the wiser about which to go for.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

You need to determine how many kW or BTU you need, then find a boiler that will deliver that much heat.

There is an article here which you may find helpful...

http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Your_Home_Publications/Radiators_sizing_and_positioning.pdf

Lets assume that your radiators are about the right size.

A quick and easy way to calculate the size of the radiator required for any room in your
    house is by measuring the room in cubic feet and then applying the following factors to
    the figure arrived at:
    Lounges and dining rooms Multiply cubic feet by 5
    Bedrooms Multiply cubic feet by 4
    Common areas and kitchens Multiply cubic feet by 3
    For rooms facing north Add 15%
    For French windows Add 20%
    For double glazing Deduct 10%

This will give you the output of any radiator in BTUs (British Thermal Units). Adding the total for all the rooms in your house or flat will give you the demand in BTUs for the whole house. Add 20% to the total for a hot water circulating tank and 10% for general losses.
    This will give you the boiler size you need for your house.

That would be a starting point. Is solid fuel the only source of heat you have? If not, what other boiler do you have & how many BTUs will that deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Boumticlad

Thanks for that. Very good information there.

I'll have a look at the room sizes. It's not the only heat source I have, luckily. I have a gas boiler aswell which delivers 80,000btu.

Advertisement