Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to get my feet under me...

Options
  • 30-11-2010 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I've downloaded and printed the internet as it pertains to Gaeilge and my husband is noticing the fact we have an abundance of info in many different formats lying around the house and bookmarks.

So, how aggravating would it be for all if one attempted to post in Gaeilge?

I don't feel confident enough to wade into the "Gaeilge only" fora due to the fact I'd be likely to end up saying something embarrassing like my "mother was a cabbage" or "I'm wearing a pair of chandeliers". I don't mind correction and I can laugh at myself...I just don't want to end up annoying everyone to the point of being voted off the internet.

This is fun though :) I love the language and wonder if I can bring it into life over here and start up some interest. There's TWO Irish shops in the small town next to us and I'm wondering if I could entice them to hold a conversation group...Lord knows I have enough study material at this point to share!

After major spinal surgery, I appear to have some time on my hands...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

AWard wrote: »
    I've downloaded and printed the internet as it pertains to Gaeilge and my husband is noticing the fact we have an abundance of info in many different formats lying around the house and bookmarks.

So, how aggravating would it be for all if one attempted to post in Gaeilge?

I don't feel confident enough to wade into the "Gaeilge only" fora due to the fact I'd be likely to end up saying something embarrassing like my "mother was a cabbage" or "I'm wearing a pair of chandeliers". I don't mind correction and I can laugh at myself...I just don't want to end up annoying everyone to the point of being voted off the internet.

This is fun though :) I love the language and wonder if I can bring it into life over here and start up some interest. There's TWO Irish shops in the small town next to us and I'm wondering if I could entice them to hold a conversation group...Lord knows I have enough study material at this point to share!

After major spinal surgery, I appear to have some time on my hands...

Of course you are welcome to post as Gaeilge,

Remember, Is bhfear Gaeilge Briste ná Béarla Cliste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Ar aghaidh leat, agus na bí ró-buartha faoí na botúin a déanfaidh tú, beidh tú ceart go leor i gceann tamail.

Carry On, and don't be to worried about mistakes you make, you'll be grand in time.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭AWard

Of course you are welcome to post as Gaeilge,

Remember, Is bhfear Gaeilge Briste ná Béarla Cliste.

That looks familiar ;)

"Better broken Irish than fluent English" IIRC?

Milé buíochas!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Cliste means smart or clever

Tá sé fliuch agus an gaoth láidir . Níl grian inniu.

(It is wet with a strong wind. No sun today.) ((I hope...that's what I intended it to say at least))

• Advertisement

Tá sé fliuch agus an gaoth láidir . Níl grian inniu.

(It is wet with a strong wind. No sun today.) ((I hope...that's what I intended it to say at least))

Tá sé fluich leis an gaoth láidir, Níl an grian ann inniu. (I think at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Tá sé fliuch agus an ghaoth láidir . Níl an ghrian amuigh inniu.

Excellent...so with the addition of the "h" it negates the sound of the beginning consonant....?

At least I was close...gimme a few more weeks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Excellent...so with the addition of the "h" it negates the sound of the beginning consonant....?

It doesn't negate the sound, it softens it (séimhiú means 'to make more gentle').

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Lá sneachta mar a bhfuil mé agus lá fuar atá ann chomh maith. Tá an aimsir go huafasach in Oirthear na hÉireann

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Lá sneachta mar a bhfuil mé agus lá fuar atá ann chomh maith. Tá an aimsir go huafasach in Oirthear na hÉireann

OK, lemme figure this one out....it's 0734 and I've had one cup of coffee...

Grammatical point....something about "fuar" and "ann".....I'm guessing something is a dialect-specific point?

hEireann = Ireland?

Forgive me, I've only been at this for about 3 weeks or so....lol!

OK, lemme figure this one out....it's 0734 and I've had one cup of coffee...

Grammatical point....something about "fuar" and "ann".....I'm guessing something is a dialect-specific point?

hEireann = Ireland?

Forgive me, I've only been at this for about 3 weeks or so....lol!

Lá sneachta - Day of snow (snowy day)
    mar a bhfuil mé - where I am (alt. san áit a bhfuil mé)
    lá fuar atá ann - It's a cold day (lit. a cold day that's in it/him)
    chomh maith - aswell/also
    Tá an aimsir go huafasach - the weather is terrible
    in Oirthear na hÉireann - in the East of Ireland

So "it" is in a masculine gender by default?

Also, we're using the Roman alphabet, how does one transfer one's Gaeilge to the correct alphabet? This seems like a future train wreck for me...

How do dates work into a sentence?

Also, we're using the Roman alphabet, how does one transfer one's Gaeilge to the correct alphabet? This seems like a future train wreck for me...

Gaeilge has used the roman alphabet for nearly 50 years.;)

Gaeilge has used the roman alphabet for nearly 50 years.;)

more like 1500 years

more like 1500 years

The same alphabet as The OP knows, Not the traditional font with the punc buailte.

Gotcha.

Well, I got my "obnoxiously stupid question" out of the way for today:D

So the unusual fonts I see are aesthetic not functionally accurate. Some of the letters/characters didn't link with any sounds I'm learning so I was looking on in horror at a new dimension...

I'm starting to post my Facebook status in Gaeilge from time to time. Funnily enough, no one ever responds to the posts...rofl!

well lá is masculine anyway but you will here that construction alot, to identify and clarify people and situations

e.g. Gaeilgóir atá ann, Irish speaker he is (you'll come across alot of yoda speak in Irish)
    is another way to say 'is gaeilgóir é'

Gotcha.

Well, I got my "obnoxiously stupid question" out of the way for today:D

So the unusual fonts I see are aesthetic not functionally accurate. Some of the letters/characters didn't link with any sounds I'm learning so I was looking on in horror at a new dimension...

I'm starting to post my Facebook status in Gaeilge from time to time. Funnily enough, no one ever responds to the posts...rofl!

Dont worry about it, There is no such thing as a stupid Question
    (only stupid people:pac:)

You can have your facebook page as gaeilge if you want

You can have your facebook page as gaeilge if you want

It's a good way to pick up a few words and phrases and your functionally using your Irish too

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't go with the process of word----> English
    > Gaeilge. I skip the English part and look at something and repeat its name. The only problem with this is that I'll lock up from time to time if the Geailge word fits something better. English will get "voted off" at that point.

Makes for some social difficulties. :p

As far as being stupid, well - I can do a fantastic imitation of one :D

I went to a site, bitesize irish, and played with their info. They had a webcam practice with counting that I thought was simply a visual feedback for you after seeing the proprietor saying the words. Little did I know that it was being recorded <!!!>. I received the following email from the gentleman:
    email wrote:
    "that's great counting, and welcome to Bitesize.

Have you ever learned the language before? You're doing great already. And if I could ask, how come you have interest in the language?"

It was nice to have the feedback, but I was so embarrassed. I had to quickly try to remember what I looked like <no makeup, fat and vaguely tired> when was in the background <my chair, some stuff behind me, mess> and if I made funny faces when I screwed up <I do, probably did>

Figured y'all could use a laugh. Lesson learned, both about counting and about webcams....

Place names?

They seem to be preceded by "h" and "n" then the capital letter starting the place name...?

Also, I need some creative cursing lessons in Gaelic today. I need to vent some steam due to the fact my beloved children have been in rare form. It would be handy to be able to let off some steam without fear of repetition or scandal...we're imminently about to go to Mass and I don't want the random mutterings I'm doing to be repeated :p

I was woken by my youngest screaming like a bann sídhe <sp?> due to a cereal argument.

Place names?

They seem to be preceded by "h" and "n" then the capital letter starting the place name...?

Also, I need some creative cursing lessons in Gaelic today. I need to vent some steam due to the fact my beloved children have been in rare form. It would be handy to be able to let off some steam without fear of repetition or scandal...we're imminently about to go to Mass and I don't want the random mutterings I'm doing to be repeated :p

I was woken by my youngest screaming like a bann sídhe <sp?> due to a cereal argument.

Can you give examples of the placenames,

as for curses in Irish, alot are curses instead of profanity, here's a few and probably lost in translation aswell

mallacht Dé ort/oraibh - curse of god on you
    go hIfreann leat/libh - to hell with you
    Gabh suas ort féin - Go fúck yourself [singular]
    Gabhaigí suas oraibh féin - Go fúck yourselves [plural]
    Gread leat - Piss off [singular]
    Greadaigí libh - Piss off [plural]

Here's a recent thread on exclamations

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056070307

Can you give examples of the placenames,

as for curses in Irish, alot are curses instead of profanity, here's a few and probably lost in translation aswell

mallacht Dé ort/oraibh - curse of god on you
    go hIfreann leat/libh - to hell with you
    Gabh suas ort féin - Go fúck yourself [singular]
    Gabhaigí suas oraibh féin - Go fúck yourselves [plural]
    Gread leat - Piss off [singular]
    Greadaigí libh - Piss off [plural]

Here's a recent thread on exclamations

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056070307

Well, I didn't want to curse *THEM* it was more of a "dammit!" muttering festival. Love them, hate their current choice of behaviour...!!

We made it through Mass without committing any sins...:D

The obscenity request was more of a blowing off steam...lol!

The place names was the serious topic of the post, I'm trying to figure out the rhyme/reason to the structure of the lower caseUPPER CASE spelling of place names. I'm assuming it is a shortening of "the" and based on gender? I will research it obviously, just wondering if there was a quick answer for the instant gratification urge :D

I'm still working on this, I bought a 6 CD/book set that's arranged more like a school book so a tad more delayed as far as conversational advances. "Spoken World: Irish" is the book set. Amazon.com to the rescue!

Well in placename like Poblacht na hÉireann (Republic of Ireland), Éireann actually means 'of Ireland' it is the genitive case, the 'na' prefixes a 'h' at the start if it begins with a vowel
    when two nouns meet in Irish the 2nd is put in the genitive, it is also used to show possession. e.g. teach Mháire - Máire's house
    or as an adjective
    an lá deiridh - the last day (the day of end)

I'm also noticing a couple of modes of learning the language: passive an active. I get VERY intimidated at the fast pace of the speech and can't pick up anything whatsoever except a lovely wave of frustration...but listening to the lessons where people speak slowly helps.

The active part of speaking and intently getting into the construction of a sentence is another part. I haven't been doing the active for a while, nor the passive - but listening to the Youtube videos that were posted helped build my confidence in what I remember of what I've learned.

Figure this thread could be an explanation of my process so that if I'm heading down a mistake-filled path some kind-hearted soul could re-direct my efforts!

The fadas are starting to become second nature, and I'm really pleased with the firefox add on "abcTajpu" to be able to type in things from other languages. I just with Outlook and OpenOffice had the same options...any input on that? It's frustrating to try to keep a Gaeilge journal to improve your skills and spell things wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Place names?

Feach anseo

http://www.it-rx.com/insults/swearing/irish_gaeilge.htm

21/25

Still working on this - I had a question though:

With all the sources of sound bites to learn the pronunciation, I will be learning different accents. Am I going to sound like a verbal fruit salad when I try to speak to someone?

ie: Dia duit

Pronunciations I have heard:

a) Dia witch

b) Dia gut

Just when I think I have the pronunciation down, I hear someone else....lol...

But this is fun, I'm seeing progress so I'm not to the point of tears and drinking chocolate syrup straight from the bottle....yet......

Still working on this - I had a question though:

With all the sources of sound bites to learn the pronunciation, I will be learning different accents. Am I going to sound like a verbal fruit salad when I try to speak to someone?

ie: Dia duit

Pronunciations I have heard:

a) Dia witch

b) Dia gut

Just when I think I have the pronunciation down, I hear someone else....lol...

But this is fun, I'm seeing progress so I'm not to the point of tears and drinking chocolate syrup straight from the bottle....yet......

Dont worry about it, there are three main dialects in Irish, when you get used to listening to Irish you should recognize them easily enough.
    As well as this, Each gaelthacht will have slight differences in pronunciation and even words that wont be found outside that particular area.

For Example, in the gaelthacht nearest me, (Gaelthacht na Rinne)
    'Tá me go maith' would be pronounced 'Haw me go maith'
    and 'Go Luath' would be pronounced 'Go Lú-ach'

Firstly I would advise just concentrating on picking up the words and learning how to put them together, after that you can just say them the way you prefer,
    You could focus on one particular dialect if you want to keep your phrases together, phrases common in one dialect wont be common in another.
    ie,
    Conas atá tú? Munster
    Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú? Connamara
    Cad é mar atá tú? Ulster

Naisc

I wouldent worry about details like this starting off though, learning the words and phrases is the most important thing starting off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement