Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data charges versus Wifi on Samsung galaxy europa phone

Options
  • 30-11-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

i recently bought a samsung galaxy europa phone pay as you go...
    Is there an option on the device that will tell me whether im on wifi for the internet or if im on data charges????
    I thought i was on the wifi in my house the other night ,but i wasnt ..and i got charged nearly 8euros for data charges.
    Can this option be turned off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

ive a nice widget called "APN OnOff" that will turn off the net through APNs (through mobile phone company) - wifi still work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

so that app will allow you to use your own wifi network but will disconnect you from any mobile networks....is that correct?
    is that the app thats on the android market website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

exactly...
    its not even an app, its just a widget to turn off the mobile network internet access on and off. (so i assume if you dig into the settings on the phone you can enable it there)

yeah search for it on the android market

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hailshimmer

I got my phone before Xmas and i have had the same problem.. In 3 Days my phone used up €20 in credit.. Anyway i went to the Meteor Phone shop and asked how can i turn off the internet,, The girl told me it was a internet phone.. so you can't really turn it off.. I downloaded the ANDroid on/off app but i was not getting all my messages through..
    Anyway i sat with my phone and had a play around with it and discovered how to turn off the internet eating up my credit..

Go to Setting -> Then to Wireless & Network settings -> Go to Mobile Networks -> then to Access point Names....
    In my case my network is meteor.. So my phone will say..
    METEOR DATA
    METEOR MMS..

To turn the net off,, Tap the MMS.. This allowes your phone to stay on 3g but stops it connecting to the internet such as facebook or email..
    To get on to the internet and so on.. follow the same steps and top DATA,, this will allow your phone to connect to the internet,,,

I hope this helps

Hailshimmer...

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

METEOR DATA
    METEOR MMS..

To turn the net off,, Tap the MMS..

Tapping MMS on mine just opens the edit page for it :confused: there's no turn off option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Hailshimmer

What network are you on,,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

what version of android is it on, if its 2.2 just hold the power button and tap the first option, it will say connect to internet is on or similar
    the only thing is i dont think mms will work if ya do that

or just go into settings and uncheck the use packet data box

Advertisement