Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was it justified to drop multiply nuclear bomb Japan or not

Options
  • 30-11-2010 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

There was a poll in the "North korea warmonger thread" that somehow morphed into a poll about the nuclear bombs in japan? I think this thread deserves its own poll/thread as they are two completely different topics!

The president of America, Truman, told the world that is was neccessary to drop these atomic bombs to save many lives on both sides, his word is taken as truth and as a justification to this day

The atom bomb was no "great decision." It was merely another powerful weapon in the arsenal of righteousness.
    Harry S. Truman

When you consider that Japans Navy was wiped out,their Air force was wiped out (except for a few sporadic kamikaze planes), and their ground forces/ strategic postions were anihilated by heavy bombardment by thousands of regular bombs ,Japan were of absolutely no threat to the U.S.A

This is the word of every important person in actual hands on charge of the actual military operation

President Dwight Eisenhower, the Allied commander in Europe during World War II, in a July 1945 meeting with Secretary of War Henry Stimson

"I told him I was against it on two counts. First, the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. Second, I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon."

Admiral William Halsey, commander of the U.S. Third Fleet,

"the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment." The Japanese, he noted, had "put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before" the
    bomb was used.

Admiral Leahy, Chief of Staff to presidents Roosevelt and Truman, later commented:

It is my opinion that the use of the barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan ... The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons ... My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children.

General Douglas MacArthur, Commander of US Army forces in the Pacific,

"My staff was unanimous in believing that Japan was on the point of collapse and surrender"

Was it necessary to drop two atomic bombs on Japan? 0 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Yes, Japan was ready to surrender but it was important for America's aspirations to be the world's superpower that they did so to the US alone rather than to the Allies as a group or (worst case scenario) the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Your thread is more suited to this forum OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement