Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regardless of where you live, who would you rather vote for: SDLP or Sinn Fein

Options
  • 30-11-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Just thought it would be interesting to see which party is preferred by the majority of Irish people. Obviously in nornin narnin Sinn Fein win - the ballot box proves this so there is no need to discuss that at all

So what do ye staters think. If you had to choose between a Shinner or a Stoop candidate in any area who would you vote for. Its a hypothetical scenario - they're both of equal political ability, intelligence, character etc and it is just between them so you can't choose a unionist or a green etc

Who would you rather vote for? 35 votes

Sinn Fein
    0% 0 votes
    SDLP
    100% 35 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

What is SDLP/a Stoop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

SF are a wholly different beast up north than down south, like as if they are 2 different parties as the northern one is electable unlike its southern counter part. So your question to free staters who majorly are ignorant about northern affairs is quite non applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

The shinners always had a strong scummy element in the republic. I have never voted for them , but over the years had considered doing so as a protest.

After this, however, I will never vote for them...

http://www.politics.ie/sinn-fein/91314-martin-ferris-td-mccabe-killers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

gurramok wrote: »
    SF are a wholly different beast up north than down south, like as if they are 2 different parties as the northern one is electable unlike its southern counter part. So your question to free staters who majorly are ignorant about northern affairs is quite non applicable.

Oh absolutely - I'm actually interested to see the perception. I would not have predicted John Hume to win the greatest Irishman award when I first heard about that competition. As flawed as the voting system for that was, it at the very least said a lot of people were willing to vote for him ahead of many other iconic Irishmen.

As I found that strange I'm wondering what people think of his party generally - they wouldn't get mentioned here near as often as Sinn Fein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If the choice is between SDLP & SF, then why is the question prefaced with "regardless of where you live"?

Surely it should be, "if you lived in Northern Ireland".

• Advertisement

If the choice is between SDLP & SF, then why is the question prefaced with "regardless of where you live"?

Surely it should be, "if you lived in Northern Ireland".

that's the point. I'm interested to see what all Irish people think of the two partes. I'm not trying to get a poll for the next assembly elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I wouldn't vote for either of them. Morons, or (ex) terrorist morons...

DUP FTW! :P

Somewhat surprised at the results so far. Was expecting it to be very polarised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Regardless of where you live would you vote Republician or democrat in the states......

This question along with the orig question ranks sim in there stupidity...

Although considering this is afterhours....

To the op....why such a stupid daft speculative question...?

There is no measure of the answer thats worth anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

SDLP are a party controlled by the British government to protect their interests, anyone who thinks differently is delusional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Sinn fein tbh. I know nothing about the other crowd but could probably sell my vote to the shinners at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Give the OP a break. He stated in his first post that it was a hypothetical question.

Just answer him and stop bitchin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Sinn Fein id vote for, i vote for them anyway but if i had to pick between the two, i don’t rate the SDLP at all, living on humes legacy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd vote for Dustin the turkey before any of those idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Would have to be SF, SDLP don't seem to be up to much, besides wearing poppies of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I would vote for any other party just to prevent Sinn Fein coming to power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I would vote for any other party just to prevent Sinn Fein coming to power

with the exception of Fianna fail i agree

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sinn Fein, the SDLP have become irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd rather spoil my vote but if absolutely forced to I would tactically opt for SDLP to prevent a SF getting in.
    SDLP are a party controlled by the British government to protect their interests, anyone who thinks differently is delusional.

I hope they weren't as riddled with spies as the Provos were or they'd be rightly fucked.

Advertisement