Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope to start playing guitar

Options
  • 29-11-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi
    Im hoping to start playing the guitar before the new year

I had lessons years back in primary school (In LC now) and quit after a few sessions
    but im looking to start again I dont have my guitar any longer so Im looking for one
    im only looking to play as a hobby because studying isnt much fun :P

any tips on beginner acoustic guitars?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do you have a budget in mind? There's plenty out there in the sub 350 range. Lots of awesome guitars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dark_by_Dezign

We meet again Alanstrainor lets put the past behind shall we ?

350 is alot , I was looking around on adverts and found basic guitars for 80 ->

id say i might go 120-140 buy second hand

any sugestions?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I don't even know what past there is to put behind me!

This is new but something similar would do the job.

Cort is a good mid/low range brand, there are some cheapish Yamahas which play great too. It's hard to point you in the direction of anything in particular seeing that you're going second hand. But if it were me, i'd much rather save a little extra cash and buy something good, rather than just buying a guitar for the sake of it.

you baned me of motors for a week !

true point , anything to look for in a guitar like what wood its made from dimensions ect?

you baned me of motors for a week !
    Ya probably deserved it.
    true point , anything to look for in a guitar like what wood its made from dimensions ect?

At that budget, getting picky about wood types is just not going to help things. And as for shape, style, size etc, it's down to personal preference really. If it were me i'd be going for a guitar without a cut away and that played reasonably well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 funkt

i have an epiphone dr-90 here and i cant fault it
    i cant rember exactly how much i payed i know it was less than 200 for the guitar,tuner,cappo,strap,bag and i think thare was a dvd with it aswel

when you get the guitar aswel justinguitar.com is good place to start lerning

• Registered Users Posts: 37 funkt

i wudnt go second hand unless yo know what your buying eder lad.cheap guitars play **** a good quality guitar will be easier to play and sound better.like i said above justinguitar.com lots of great tips on picking a guitar on the site aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

as alan said you can get a good yamaha cheap, about 200 euro will get you the one i have and it sounds fine.
    Get stuck in and practise like fook, also go for lessons now, don't leave it it will only slow you down.
    Best of luck to ya lad!:)

I went onto musicstore there and honestly was didnt know were to go first withs the difference with all these 3/4 4/4 2/4 and other categories

could someone send me a link il go to 200 euro

thanks for the comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

It's hard to beat Yamaha for low to mid-range acoustic guitars. For €200, this looks a very decent guitar;

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Guitars/Western-guitars/Yamaha-FG-700-MS-Natur-Matt-New-in-the-past-FG-403-MS-/art-GIT0007110-001

Although for something cheaper the Yamaha F310 or F370 are both fine.

• Advertisement

came across this
    whats your opinion on a cort sfx 1 : http://www.thomann.de/ie/cort_sfx1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

came across this
    whats your opinion on a cort sfx 1 : http://www.thomann.de/ie/cort_sfx1.htm

If you're thinking of that make sure and go into a shop and just play around with it or a similar guitar to make sure you're comfortable with it.

the shops in Germany !!
    back to my first post i dont know how to play nor know what suites me best so il adapt easily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

the shops in Germany !!

Forget the German shops, you can get it here!! Seriuosly though, you said you want to start before the new year, thomann are out of stock until christmas week and then I doubt they will get to you before the new year with the christmass rush so if I were you I would contact local Cort dealers to try one out and possibly buy it from. COrt are widely available in most music shops in Ireland so ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

try Dublin Guitar Centre on exchequer street in dublin city for the corts.

I have priced in Ireland bu just way too expensive for the same guitar , as i said im a beginner so wheres the use in me trying it out before hand ?

im from mayo so Galway would be the max distance i would travel for a shop
    thanks for the suggestion tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I have priced in Ireland bu just way too expensive for the same guitar , as i said im a beginner so wheres the use in me trying it out before hand ?

There are different shapes so its very important to get one you are comfortable, it will make learning much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

There are a few good music shops in Galway - Powell's on the corner of Shop St and Abbeygate St is the best known. There's also Back 2 Music on Abbeygate St near Sally Long's pub, and Modern Music on Middle St beside Charlie Byrne's bookshop. I'd suggest trying out a few guitars to see what feels comfortable to handle, and bring a friend who knows guitars to give you advice.

Advertisement