Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Millican

Options
  • 29-11-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Anyone else heard of her?
    I think she's brilliant, playing in Dublin in April 2011.
    Worth checking out on youtube :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Actually atm I'm watching her on HIGNFY and yesterday I witnessed her on another comedy panel show and Ithink she is just woeful. So terribly bad, it's as though she has no idea just how bad she is and so she continues while everyone else retreats into their skulls, willing her nonsense to be over as quickly as possible. Just so absolutley terrible that I cringe in a The Office/Curb Your Enthusiasm way.

As HIGNFY goes on (and as I type this) her attempts at humour have become so indescribably asinine that I feel I should switch over. But there are so many other comedians on the show who do a competant job.

Tbh, I was about to start a thread in After Hours about "Least favourite comedians/comediennes" until I thought perhaps the thread would be better here. And I was about to declare Sarah Miilican one of my top three least favourite comedians ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭killyourtv_

not exactly the sarah millican lover reply i was hoping for :p

i think she's really funny, her live at the apollo shows are pretty good! i can see how she wont be everyones cup of tea, some of my friends dont like her but others love her.

guessing you wont be going to see her then, no? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My problem with her lies with a problem I have with a fair few women comedians; they talk about girl stuff and as a guy, I simply can't relate to her comedy at all. When she talks about stuff like her boyfriends or whatever, I simply don't get her jokes since I don't have a clue what she's talking about. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think she's really great :o

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭killyourtv_

i guess some of her materials would relate to women more than men, but men can still find them funny too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm not saying "men can't because...". I'm saying "I don't because...".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My problem with her lies with a problem I have with a fair few women comedians; they talk about girl stuff and as a guy, I simply can't relate to her comedy at all. When she talks about stuff like her boyfriends or whatever, I simply don't get her jokes since I don't have a clue what she's talking about. :/

I am going to see her in Vicar Street on Sat night - cant wait
    As for the above post - male comedians talk about their wives and mother in laws and I get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Actually atm I'm watching her on HIGNFY and yesterday I witnessed her on another comedy panel show and Ithink she is just woeful. So terribly bad, it's as though she has no idea just how bad she is and so she continues while everyone else retreats into their skulls, willing her nonsense to be over as quickly as possible. Just so absolutley terrible that I cringe in a The Office/Curb Your Enthusiasm way.

As HIGNFY goes on (and as I type this) her attempts at humour have become so indescribably asinine that I feel I should switch over. But there are so many other comedians on the show who do a competant job.

Tbh, I was about to start a thread in After Hours about "Least favourite comedians/comediennes" until I thought perhaps the thread would be better here. And I was about to declare Sarah Miilican one of my top three least favourite comedians ever.
    Worse than Maeve Higgins and Katherine Lynch?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Hello....
    Just wondering is anyone going tomorrow?
    I am cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

She's the funniest female comedian I've heard in years. Tbh, I'm not a huge fan of any female stand up comedians but I can honestly say she is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Worse than Maeve Higgins and Katherine Lynch?

No, I don't think that's possible. They are the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Show was fantastic on Sat night - absolutely brilliant. She is back in October so I will certainly be booking tickets. At one point I was wiping my tears on my sleeve!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I seen her about 4 years ago in a small comedy club in the UK and thought she was very funny, but she seems to be another Ed Byrne, in that she hasn't come up with any genuinely new material in anything I've seen since.

It's all the same old generic stuff, girl talking about sex in a "look how rude I can be for a girl" type of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

For a good female comic look up Bonnie McFarlane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think she's an average enough female comedian but unfortunately good female comedians are scarce on the surface these days.

Her routine is very "cat lady" and wears very thin very fast for me.

A LOT of my female friends like her so maybe her comedy just translates a lot better to a female audience.

She has got potential but she needs to avoid, as someone else said, the Ed Byrne effect of having one schtick.

We get it, you're a cat lady and that is mildly amusing, but you're not going to sell years of material off that.

Advertisement