Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome for motorsport?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi All

I have a fairly limited budget and am in the market for a used camper that is capable of holding one Enduro/motocross bike in a fixed garage. I am ideally looking for a mid 90s coach built camper. Any suggestions? The reasons for coach built camper rather than a converted van are, I would like to bring my partner/daughter along with me and do the occasional bit of travellling and I want to drive it legally on my car licence.

Regards

Steve

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Try a post on : www.paddockgossip.com
    Lots of like minded people there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 steven.blanc

Thanks, I am familiar with the site. Does anyone here have anything which they can recommend or that may suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Would the 'bike fit into the garage of a camper? We often fit scooters and rails for them into the ones we sell , and tbh , they are pretty much the full width.... whats the length of your bike , front to back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Would the 'bike fit into the garage of a camper? We often fit scooters and rails for them into the ones we sell , and tbh , they are pretty much the full width.... whats the length of your bike , front to back?

your not going to get a full size motor bike in the garage of your average motorhome,i have seen and am considering a bike rack that will fit a 600cc but you are getting into the payload limits and weights on axles then,have you thought about a trailer use it for your motorsport trips and leave it at home when you dont need it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..we're currently modifying a motorhome for a client to take a racing kart set up. Does involve some 'flinching' surgery.

I'll try and post up pics when it's done.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Thanks, I am familiar with the site. Does anyone here have anything which they can recommend or that may suit?

my camper can take 2 enduro bikes in the garage, it's a rimor 677tc superbrig twin wheel and the kind of camper popular with the moto x fraternity! might be selling it due to lack of use

Thanks feel free to call or text me 0866016344 with a price. Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I hate to be a wet blanket on this thread, but you are in danger of having your vehicle reclassified as a 'living van'. A 'living van' is a vehicle used for the carriage and habitation of persons AND the carriage of 'goods'. Trial bikes, karts, race cars, horses, etc. are all in the category which makes them goods for this purpose.
    Possible ramifications.
    Goods vehicle 'DoE' and road tax. Basically being treated the same as horse-boxes (of the motorised variety not the trailer kind)
    In the UK the authorities are beginning to look closely at the situation regarding 'motor caravans' being used as 'race vans' and ours may not be far behind if they feel there is a few Euro to be made for the national coffers in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I hate to be a wet blanket on this thread, but you are in danger of having your vehicle reclassified as a 'living van'. A 'living van' is a vehicle used for the carriage and habitation of persons AND the carriage of 'goods'. Trial bikes, karts, race cars, horses, etc. are all in the category which makes them goods for this purpose.
    Possible ramifications.
    Goods vehicle 'DoE' and road tax. Basically being treated the same as horse-boxes (of the motorised variety not the trailer kind)
    In the UK the authorities are beginning to look closely at the situation regarding 'motor caravans' being used as 'race vans' and ours may not be far behind if they feel there is a few Euro to be made for the national coffers in the process.

you might be right about trucks being converted as race vans but my camper is a production model with a garage being integral to the design. the garage type motorhome is very popular on the continent as campers are used more as recreational vehicles with activities such as skiing/kayaking/offroading/cycling, most of which require a storage area on board! it does save a lot of packing etc and i would'nt be without it being lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭niloc1951

As described fatbast your use is strictly ok, but if the MH is used to transport vehicles or animals for competition purposed as opposed to for personal use then under the law they are not entitled to be classed as private passenger vehicles but private goods vehicles and be treated as goods vehicles for tax, testing, limiters, tacho's etc depending on GVW.
    Now I know it is difficult for the authorities to say that a MH is not being used as prescribed but in the event of an accident or other misfortune it could lead to questions about insurance validity, incorrect tax and roadworthiness test, etc. etc.
    Grey areas have a nasty habit of turning black against the punter in times of crisis.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. The main use of the Camper is for holidays/travelling, however I will also use it to attend approx a dozen races in a season and will bring my bike with me. If I can do this safely with a built in garage, I will.

If people want an idea of what im looking for its a cleaner version of

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320549365552&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_1382wt_1045

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-814-MOTORHOME-MX-RACE-TRUCK-MOTOCROSS-CAMPER-/330504436273?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4cf3997a31#ht_1070wt_1045

Advertisement