Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting Double Glazed Windows DIY

Options
  • 29-11-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm refitting my house and plan putting in new windows ... and am on a tight budget.

I came across this place that supplies ex-stock, returned, outsized, surplus etc, double glazed, pVC and wood, windows and doors. The saving would be massive when looked at against getting a DG company to do the work.

Are they easy enough to fit? the house will be dry lined and a plasterer will be coming anyway, so all that has to be done is the actual fitting. But the last thing I want is to have problems down the line that end up costing more money in the long run.

What do ye think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Very easy to fit especialy if the plaster is coming off either way you wont have a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Ponder013 wrote: »
    I'm refitting my house and plan putting in new windows ... and am on a tight budget.

I came across this place that supplies ex-stock, returned, outsized, surplus etc, double glazed, pVC and wood, windows and doors. The saving would be massive when looked at against getting a DG company to do the work.

Are they easy enough to fit? the house will be dry lined and a plasterer will be coming anyway, so all that has to be done is the actual fitting. But the last thing I want is to have problems down the line that end up costing more money in the long run.

What do ye think?

It's a fantastic route to go - if your on a new build. If wanting to replace existing windows then you're not likely to get the sizes you need from a surplus supplier. And certainly not in any way that produces matching windows. If you do find windows that suit then it's not the hardest job but you'd want to do it right in order to ensure airtightness/dampproofing. You'd be better over in the contruction forum for detailed help

If you've wooden windows that are sound in all other respects - bar for them being single glazed - then there's the option of removing the existing glass, routing the rebate deeper to accept a thicker, double-glazed panel and just buying/fitting the panel itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

No they aren't wood, some of the windows I'm replacing are aluminium circa 1960, some are metal, all nicely rusted and warped. The door is getting a hole made for it anyway. and the rest of the windows are destined for the new porch - so apart from three windows, I'll be able to arrange things to fit the windows, not the other way around.

I think I'll go ahead with it and I'll let ye know how we get on. I won't be fitting them, I've just had my nails done, but 'he who obeys without question' will have lots of fun doing it, I'm sure :D

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

I would 100% recommend going for this route. But I would approach a good few companies with your measurements and specifications and attain a lot of quotes for supply only. There seems to be an abbundance of companies on some "very well known websites" which advertise their products for very little money at the moment, so why not start your own bidding war with them.

As for fitting the fact that the internal plaster is being stripped or chopped out at the opes and windows is great , you will have no external work except sealing with mastic and the internals will be made perfectly new. Happy days and good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭altor

Ponder013 wrote: »

What do ye think?

Very easy to do once the windows fit the opening. Level the base of the window and fit lugs to the side of the window for fixing the window in place. Bigger windows will need lugs at top and bottom also.

• Advertisement

I've heard that some DG companies have actually started to remove their unpaid for wondows and doors from unfinished developments (under cover of darkness, I'm sure)

I'll def. be shopping around for a bargain.

Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi Ponder13,

Can you tell me who is supplying you with the windows? I'm renovating myself and have an allowance in window sizes so I'm not looking for exact made to measure windows.

Thanks.

Hi Ginger,

There are several companies out there, I found one in Tipperary. A good place to look is Done deal under 'building supplies'

Advertisement