Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you get your money back on a losing bet?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Ok - I haven't lived in Ireland in a while, I obviously know things have gone to pot there over the last few years but didn't realise it was coming to this.

I can't help feeling that this is just not right...

I finally came up with an analogy to put my feelings into words

If some big shot geyser/mafioso type/'businessman' is friendly with the management team of some soccer club who are doing well. So much so that this 'businessman' takes the advise of the management to back their team heavily in this year's league. Management are buoyed by recent success and are dishing out prawn sandwiches and free beer at half time to their supporters. Some of the supporters are a bit wary about it but most are lapping it up and think their team are just great and that management aren't so bad either....

But then the team go through a bad spell, losing key players to injury....
    The 'busniessman' loses his bets, management lose a lot of money and the supporters aren't too pleased....

But thing get even worse, this businessman starts to flex his muscle and is demanding from management for his money back, management say they don't have it, but this businessman is not taking no for an answer, he offers management an exorbitant loan at a 'special' interest rate to buy new players....

Management take the loan and inform all the clubs supporters that they are going to have to pay a lot more now to support their team and there'll be no more prawn sandwiches either.

Anyway you get the picture....
    It seems nuts to me that the Irish people (the supporters) albeit many got too wrapped up in the 'good times' should have to pay out huge amounts to the German, French and British banks (businessman) because of the cock ups of private institutions i.e. the Irish Banks and the Irish government(management).

I'm sure some will tell me why my analogy ias way off and no doubt it's not as simple as this analogy but if it's right for the Irish people to have to pay for this, then I guess all is ok as the huge losses made by Irish Banks in America or going to get refunded by the American Banks or American government, right? :rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Not a great analogy but we get the idea.
    I understand your anger.
    IMO we would have been better off allowing the banks to fold without sinking tons of taxpayers money into it.
    As it stands, I won´t be raising my kids in Ireland because on principle I won´t have them paying for the mistakes of greasy dirtbag "developers".

And I´m not talking through my ass, I left Ireland some years ago and have made a new life for myself on other shores.

Advertisement