Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you read Wh40k ?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

.... or is that way too low brow to be in a 'literature' section?

I have to say while they can be hit and miss a lot of the warhammer 40k books are a great read, the Eisenhorn trilogy and Ravenor trilogy are very scenic and gritty intergalactic detective stories (although both have overly cheesy bits at times)

The 6 (soon 7) Ciaphas Cain books are also great reads (although the prose gets repetitive) but they are genuinely funny and some of the war scenes are very well written, especially in the 4'th book 'death or glory'

The 11 Gaunts Ghosts books I've read have also been worth reading, although one extremely annoying character in particular sort of ruined 4 of the books until he was finally killed off, still though I would give the series a 7/10 for being full of action and often very well developed and consistent characters.

Unfortunately when people think of Wh40k they mostly think of space marines and while some of the space marines books are actually very good a lot are very HONOR KILL ALIEN DUTY DURR HONOR CLEAN HOLY BOLTER GUN KILL HERETIC.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is a thread on it in the Minature section under Gaming section. I do read them and regular WH as well as quick easy no brainer reading though I'd like to see more from a non Human perspective (esp. Orks but I got to settle for the comic!).

Advertisement