Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW I GAVE UP SMOKING

Options
  • 29-11-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

First off i have seen and tried about 100 ways to give up smoking The longest I have been off them is 8 months. that was about 2 years ago have been smoking steadily since then.
    I have an idea that might help people that seems to have worked for me quite recently. I can't guarantee it but these days anything is worth a try.

BACK STORY: I was recently on a trip to the states where i had no hope of buying John Player Blue. All I could get was Malboro Red and Lights. For the trip I forced myself to smoke them & found every one as horrible as the last taste wise. It got to the stage where I'd have half a cigarette and put the rest in the ashtray. I just could not hack smoking them due the off putting taste. By the time I got home I was literally unable to have a smoke as the thought of smoking one put that horrible taste in my mouth. Been 2 weeks now and I have not had a cigarette since the day I got home.

IDEA/SUGGESTION Try ONLY smoking the smokes you absolutely hate the taste of for a week and hopefully the end result might turn out to be the same. In my humble opinion you will develop a subconscious/placebo like disdain to the taste and find it very off putting a cigarette in your mouth.

I hope that someone else finds this helpful if you do post here and hopefully it will get the ball rolling and other may benefit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I think the fact that you had no access to your favourite fags was what worked in your case, but I think the average person in Ireland will just buy their favourite brand when the need arises no matter what. maybe a 2 week holiday with no access might work for some but I always found smokes that I could live with for the 2 weeks until I got home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cailindeas25

I actually did this too and it worked for me also :)
    A mate was on holidays and brought me back 200 cigarettes that weren't a brand I liked. Ended up smoking only a packet coz they were absolutely rank (half a pack really, kept throwing it away when it was half smoked). Gave 6 packs away and couldn't get rid of the last 3 packs so I ripped them all up, lol.
    I knew I wanted to give them up though, it just helped when I was disgusted by the new stronger brand. Diff'rent strokes and that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 devnty06

Hi steve.. this may have worked for you or may be to some of them, but not a possible way for all..
    people who couldn't find their right fag, will possibly try to get the right one.

Drug Rehab

Advertisement