Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamping in icy conditions

Options
  • 28-11-2010 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello,
    Does anyone know if you are exempt from being clamped if it's too dangerous to move your car? the road mine is on is really icy and i' afraid to drive, so I'm wondering if I have a case to not have it clamped.. thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wouldn't really see a clamping company letting you off if they can drive their vans out there, cos their not exactly known to be decent.

that said the Gardai in Cabinteely seemed to think it was perfectly ok to allow people abandon thier cars in the driving lane, on the junction in Cabinteely, blocking it completely and forcing people to sit in the filter lane. (including the squad car) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it an important through route where the presence of your vehicle will be an obstruction or hazard? If it is, expect if to be towed or clamped.

Is it a nuisance or are you at risk of not being able to pay the meter? Expect it to be clamped.

Is it merely a matter of not being able to pay the meter on an otherwise quiet street? This will be of low priority for clamping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

minogudk wrote: »
    Hello,
    Does anyone know if you are exempt from being clamped if it's too dangerous to move your car? the road mine is on is really icy and i' afraid to drive, so I'm wondering if I have a case to not have it clamped.. thanks..

I don't believe that there is anywhere in the Dublin clamping region where it is too dangerous to move your car.

Having said that, last year when conditions where chaotic, DCC suspended clamping. Different situation this year. Not only have they been better prepared but the snow fell at the weekend!

You're only option is keep topping up the meter if you want to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

What concerns me personally is that at the apartments I live in the car park is underground and the ramp both steep and prone to ice. The maintainance company has been clearing the ramp every morning but if conditions worsen and they are unable to keep it clear people may be forced to park thier vehicles at ground level. I can't see NCPS having much sympathy on such people and I'm sure it's a situation common to many developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

Stonewolf wrote: »
    What concerns me personally is that at the apartments I live in the car park is underground and the ramp both steep and prone to ice. The maintainance company has been clearing the ramp every morning but if conditions worsen and they are unable to keep it clear people may be forced to park thier vehicles at ground level.

+1

It's killing us trying to keep our ramps clear. I'd happily spend money to resolve this problem if I knew what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Do you salt them twice a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Last year a good 10-15 cars got clamped in woodies carpark in Sandyford because they were over the 3 hour period ofparking there, they had to abandon their cars because of the snow! ridiculous goings on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Clampers belong in the innermost circle of the seven circles of hell in Dantes inferno.

There isn't a shred of decency or fair-play in any of them and it is a form of legalised piracy with the car-owning public as the victims.

I have seen women with small children left stranded and walking miles to their homes in the dark because of the actions of these creatures and having no money to pay the "release" fee.........

Possibly getting their heads beat up when they go home as well and hubby has to pay the fine but the clampers don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

doolox wrote: »
    Clampers deserve to be shot
    No they don't. Such expressions aren't welcome.
    I have seen women with small children left stranded and walking miles to their homes in the dark because of the actions of these creatures and having no money to pay the "release" fee.........
    Then people should park responsibly. If you saw these people, why didn't you help them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Last year a good 10-15 cars got clamped in woodies carpark in Sandyford because they were over the 3 hour period ofparking there, they had to abandon their cars because of the snow! ridiculous goings on.

How deep was the snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

doolox wrote: »
    Clampers belong in the innermost circle of the seven circles of hell in Dantes inferno.

There isn't a shred of decency or fair-play in any of them and it is a form of legalised piracy with the car-owning public as the victims.

Possibly getting their heads beat up when they go home as well and hubby has to pay the fine but the clampers don't care.

It's all very simple - park legally and you won't get clamped, park illegally and you will. Clampers are doing a job that's all. If you're stupid enough to park illegally then you deserve a clamp IMO and that includes the ridiculous bleeding heart stories like "I only ran into the shop for 2 minutes" or "my ticket was only 10 minutes out of date".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

and what of those people who have a legitimate space but cannot access it? Do they deserve to pay a big clamping fee because they needed to park thier car near home?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Stonewolf wrote: »
    and what of those people who have a legitimate space but cannot access it? Do they deserve to pay a big clamping fee because they needed to park thier car near home?

My point was a reply to doolox about general clamping. It was not about clamping in the icy conditions we are currently experiencing. Clamping was suspended by DCC in January and I presume (but could be wrong) it's suspended again now. Obviously they don't issue a press release stating this as if they did every headbanger in the city would park all over the place.

Advertisement