Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change - Psychology

Options
  • 28-11-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I have found myself in the position of having the opportunity to change career at 40 and go back to college.

I have a degree and was considering a career in Clinical Psychology or Educational Psychology (figure I will know better which I want during HDip).

What I am wondering is if I do the HDip, what next. Can I apply for any jobs with the HDip and if so, what jobs.

I would then continue on and do my Masters/Doc.

Can anyone please give me information on the basics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi,

I have found myself in the position of having the opportunity to change career at 40 and go back to college.

I have a degree and was considering a career in Clinical Psychology or Educational Psychology (figure I will know better which I want during HDip).

What I am wondering is if I do the HDip, what next. Can I apply for any jobs with the HDip and if so, what jobs.

All the HDip will do is allow you access to further training, Clinical =Doc and its not easy to get in.

I'm a psychotherapist so I'll just give you the basics, one of the others will I'm sure be only too happy to fill you in on the journey. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi,

Hi, the HDip is equivalent to the BA/BSc so is only a starting point. Yes you can work as Care Worker and such to gain more experience to go into further courses. There is a huge demand for Clinical although how many apply for how few places I can't tell you. To get into Clinical, most people have a MSc + relevant experience + research experience. But don't let yourself be put off if that's what you want to do. See lots of previous threads.

I don't know what the demand is like for Educ. BPS and PSI will give you more information.

Advertisement