Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: Hypnotherapy

Options
  • 28-11-2010 4:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First off: profound apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

I am investigating doing some hypnotherapy training ( not for professional , at least not initially).

I have seen these lads online , the Irish hypnosis academy.
    Now as I understand it , my cat could certify me as a hypnotherapist (as in there is no official body in Ireland)
    Does anyone have any experience with these guys or can recommend a better alternative.
    My reasons for choosing these guys are :
    they do training in Cork.
    they have a 7 day "boot camp" type approach which suits me work wise.

I do have some experience of hypnosis , specifically in an entertainment setting (again apologies if i offend anyone) and have trained as a "street hypnotist".and i must say that it fascinates me greatly.

Again I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place , if so please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭joe12345

horgan_p wrote: »

I am investigating doing some hypnotherapy training ( not for professional , at least not initially).

Now as I understand it , my cat could certify me as a hypnotherapist (as in there is no official body in Ireland)
    Does anyone have any experience with these guys or can recommend a better alternative.

I do have some experience of hypnosis , specifically in an entertainment setting (again apologies if i offend anyone) and have trained as a "street hypnotist".and i must say that it fascinates me greatly.

Again I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place , if so please let me know.

-

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Howdy ,

yeah I saw his website but to be honest it put me off.
    I'll give him another look.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

joe12345 wrote: »
    Although there isnt any offical training body in Ireland, have a look
    at Martin Kielys website (he is in Cork). He provides offical training
    for the NGH (National Guild of Hypnotists) that is in my opinion one of
    the best hypnotists bodies in the world. Such reknown hypnotists as
    Ormond McGill and Gil Boyne were once members (both have written
    excellent de-facto books on the subject). You can't go wrong with them.
    It worth giving Martin a call. Just do a google search for his website.

Do you have any connection with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

The Irish Hypnosis Academy have been one of the 2 main training bodies in hypnosis and hypnotherapy here for a number of years. People who train with them go on to be accredited with the Irish Hypnotherapy Association.

I have received training with them and found it very enjoyable. Their main trainer is a wonderful person.

It doesn't matter greatly where you train in hypnosis tbh. I recommend to people who want to do it to train with those with the least amount of nonsense (unlike you want that). The training you are asking about fits that description.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Thanks for the info , it seems to be a minefield out there.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info , it seems to be a minefield out there.

hotspur wrote: »
    I'm not quoting the above to embarrass Joe, but just to highlight for the op that his question is about a field where it really pays to be aware of who the people are you listen to. A lot of nonsense in the field of complementary therapy.

yes you have embarressed me thanks for that. No need to look through
    old posts of mine to discredit me. I was only trying to help the person
    who asked the question.

Whats my view on whatever got to do with my knowledge about hypnotherapy?
    So ok so I have an interest in the mysteries of the world, is that a big deal .. ?
    I was having an open minded discussion on a completely different thread and
    the quote belongs in that context. Does that mean i know nothing about hypnothearpy?
    Absolutetly not.

All I done was recommened the NGH, who are a respected worldwide body
    As said people like Gil Boyne, Dave Elman &
    Ormond McGill were members. Now as a hypnotist dont tell me you have never heard
    of these men? Look up the NGH website if you like. I was just trying to help.
    But no need for that man... no need at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Lads keep this civil, Joe Hotspur is well know here and often help posters with this topic, you are new welcome by the way, but you have not answered JC's question about you connection.

Joe we have had people claiming to be something they are not here before, which is where I believe Hotspur's post came from. Carry on with the discussion, but I'm saying it to both sides keep it civil.

Do you have any connection with him?

I am a (practising) certified consulting hypnotist (and i can prove it lol) with the NGH and have
    completed the course I recommended

As said I just wanted to help. No offence to anyone :)

Odysseus wrote: »
    Lads keep this civil, Joe Hotspur is well know here and often help posters with this topic, you are new welcome by the way, but you have not answered JC's question about you connection.

Joe we have had people claiming to be something they are not here before, which is where I believe Hotspur's post came from. Carry on with the discussion, but I'm saying it to both sides keep it civil.

No problem i understand. But i made that quote having fun on a different
    forum and it was not meant for here. Just becuase i made that
    statement doesnt mean i dont know anything about hypnosis!

Im fine with Hotspur there won't be any trouble. :)

There is a lot of disinfo about it out there i know that myself (people
    thinking they will be zombiefied, be controlled, unconcious, etc., etc.)

thanks Odysseus i appreciate your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Thanks for the answers around your background. I know nothing on this topic so I can't help the OP, but I'm sure you know people in and around our area who are dangerous. We don't know you that well yet, I hope you continue to post here. However, there are a core group of posters here who don't want anybody getting bad info.

I'm not saying you where giving bad info but you get my point. We all know there are some trainiers out there ripping people and the lads here do their best to make sure that don't happen here.

I think its time for me to butt out now as I can't be of any help to the OP, I just wanted to avoid any problems on this thread, by intervening earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I really shouldn't have posted the quote. I just have a habit of viewing the previous post function of people who happen to post about hypnotherapy. Anyway I have deleted it now.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers around your background. I know nothing on this topic so I can't help the OP, but I'm sure you know people in and around our area who are dangerous. We don't know you that well yet, I hope you continue to post here. However, there are a core group of posters here who don't want anybody getting bad info.

I'm not saying you where giving bad info but you get my point. We all know there are some trainiers out there ripping people and the lads here do their best to make sure that don't happen here.

I think its time for me to butt out now as I can't be of any help to the OP, I just wanted to avoid any problems on this thread, by intervening earlier.

point taken and thanks again for your help. i mean than you come
    across very genuine.

If anyone pm me i can give them my contact details.

The course that Hotspur done is very good too. I'm not saying it's not.

I'm currently putting together a presentation on Hypnothearpy to
    deliever in the city where I live. Hotspur you are free to review it for
    me if you want.

Me and Hotspur are fine dont worry
    take care

hotspur wrote: »
    I really shouldn't have posted the quote. I just have a habit of viewing the previous post function of people who happen to post about hypnotherapy. Anyway I have deleted it now.

Hats off and genuine respect. Its not that im ashamed of that post, just
    it was out of context thats all.

thanks so much again

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

We do not name individual posters here, there is a sticky on the top of the main page about finding a therapist. I think you are a new use here Dave so apart from the above, welcome to the psych forum. Have a read of the charter and ask questions if you are unsure of anything.

Advertisement