Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's sex got to do with it?

Options
  • 28-11-2010 6:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Why is sex so important in psychology? Freud talked about it a lot, as though the mind revolves around sex but I don't get it.

I'll tell you a horrible story.

Why is sex so important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Why is sex so important in psychology? Freud talked about it a lot, as though the mind revolves around sex but I don't get it.

I'll tell you a horrible story.

Why is sex so important?
    A difficult situation but I had to delete the person stuff, try PI with it.

I'm a psychoanalyst been studying Freud for over 13 years, the unconscious is a mass of drives. They seek satisfaction, mostly there are sexual or aggressive. Due to having a conscious mind and a super-ego these drive find satisfaction in ways that are suitable to civilisation. Ask more questions if you wish, just leave out the deleted stuff, PI would be a good place for it or may find a professional to speak to about. I'm not saying your sick; I'm saying you could do with a bit of support around this.

A very simple answer to a complex question, I would not write that in a paper, but then again I don't think that is what you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Frogzilla69

Some people seem to be more sensitive about issues surrounding sex than others. I assume that this is because those people have a personal issue with sex or sexual expression.

Would I be correct in assuming that since the majority of people are at least somewhat sensitive about sexuality that basically everyone has a serious issue with sex? Should I assume that most people are very insecure about their ability to express themselves sexually?

Some people seem to be more sensitive about issues surrounding sex than others. I assume that this is because those people have a personal issue with sex or sexual expression.

Would I be correct in assuming that since the majority of people are at least somewhat sensitive about sexuality that basically everyone has a serious issue with sex? Should I assume that most people are very insecure about their ability to express themselves sexually?

The topic is too subjective to make such assunptions, if you want to know about Freud's thoughts on the topic pick up a copy of three essasys on the theory of sexuality, its easy to read and will give you the basics.

I might have to do that but I was hoping someone could just explain it to me.
    I think I just need a simple answer but I'm not sure how to ask what I need to know.

When a person does something abnormal, other people often reject the concept and find it annoying or distasteful.

When a person does something sexually abnormal, other people are personally offended and scream bloody murder.

Why are people more passionate about things relating to sex? What is the thought process?

I might have to do that but I was hoping someone could just explain it to me.
    I think I just need a simple answer but I'm not sure how to ask what I need to know.

When a person does something abnormal, other people often reject the concept and find it annoying or distasteful.

When a person does something sexually abnormal, other people are personally offended and scream bloody murder.

Why are people more passionate about things relating to sex? What is the thought process?

Sorry mate, if I wasn't ill I would write a lot more, but the questions above it would take a thesis to answer each. From myviewpoint they are very complex questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How are you defining people, humanity in general or a specific group as different countries and cultures have differnt attitudes to sex, some are a lot more open and educated then people then to be here.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    How are you defining people, humanity in general or a specific group as different countries and cultures have differnt attitudes to sex, some are a lot more open and educated then people then to be here.

I'm defining people based on generalities and commonalities that I have observed. All assessments are biased, I'm sorry if mine offends you but it is a very sensitive issue, apparently.

Would I be correct to say that a person's concept of sexuality defines their sexual worth and that this sexual self-worth trumps or rules over the regular self-worth that comes from the self image? If so, this would explain why people are more offended by sexual deviancy than regular social deviancy. I suppose that in learning that sexuality is the most important and defining social aspect, it would become a dominant part of the self image.
    But maybe I'm way off. I'm just grasping at straws, is it were.

Would I be correct to say that a person's concept of sexuality defines their sexual worth and that this sexual self-worth trumps or rules over the regular self-worth that comes from the self image? If so, this would explain why people are more offended by sexual deviancy than regular social deviancy. I suppose that in learning that sexuality is the most important and defining social aspect, it would become a dominant part of the self image.
    But maybe I'm way off. I'm just grasping at straws, is it were.

It defends on how you consider sexually, unconscious sexual drives can manifest in conscious life in a way that would not appear to be sexual. Buy the book yet?

No, I have not yet bought the book but I might have to.
    There's a very good chance that it wont answer my question though, as many unconscious processes cannot be consciously addressed and sexuality seems to be partially unconscious.

A friend of mine said that there is an essence of sexuality in all social interactions, is this true? Even between two heterosexual men?

Do people feel the need to be sexually validated? Is it considered more important than normal, social validation?

No, I have not yet bought the book but I might have to.
    There's a very good chance that it wont answer my question though, as many unconscious processes cannot be consciously addressed and sexuality seems to be partially unconscious.

A friend of mine said that there is an essence of sexuality in all social interactions, is this true? Even between two heterosexual men?

Do people feel the need to be sexually validated? Is it considered more important than normal, social validation?

From a psychoanalytic yes all interactions have some sexual base. Read the book it may not anwer your question, bit it may help you re-define it and you will get a better sense of it from a psychoanalytic viewpoint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement