Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting started in dublin?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

hello people, looking for some info that im hoping someone here can help me with.

spent a bit of time in the states, and really got into NFL. was at the the dolphins/bears game last week and thought id love to give it a go back here in dublin.

However i have a few questions :

Firstly and perhaps most importantly, im fairly small, i think about 5,6/7" or so, and about 11stone.although id consider myself fairly tough and into contact sports, am i wasting my time? apart from being a QB would i be useless on a team?

also, i know the basics of the sport but not all the rules, is there somewhere you can play and learn rather than trying to join a fully fledged team off the bat ?

thanks for any help and any further info, cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I have guys on my team smaller than you and are playing at a competitive rate in the IAFL.

The best thing to do is go down and speak to the coaches at the team near you. Where do you live and I can point you to who is closest to you.

Teams all over Ireland: League Website: www.americanfootball.ie

Senior League

Dublin Rebels - www.dublinrebels.com Play Santry, Train Booterstown
    DCU Saints - www.dcusaints.com Play/train Glasnevin I think Taking a year out, wont be playing 2011 season.
    Dublin rhinos - www.rhinos.ie play/train Castleknock
    UCD American Football - No website - Play Train UCD
    Dublin Dragons - www.dublindragons.com - play/train Lucan
    Trinity - Cant remember their website - Play train Santry
    CorK admirals - www.corkadmirals.net - play train UCC
    UL Vikings - www.eteamz.com/ulvikings - Play/Train University Limerick
    Craigavon Cowboys - www.craigavoncowboys.co.uk - Play Train Craigavon
    Belfast Trojans - www.belfasttrojans.com - Belfast
    Carrickfergus Knights - www.carrickfergusknights.com - Carrickfergus

Development Teams: (8 a side)
    Tullamore Pheonix - Search them on facebook and you will find them. Only team who took part in the development league this season gone.
    Trim Bulldogs

And there is a few others in this category but not sure if they are confirmed.

League Unofficial Forum: www.iafs.co.uk

Season Starts in March/April.

Just to add OP I would consider you too small as a QB :D But as I said I have guys your size who are WR, DB RB and LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KAYPEE

Hi there thanks a mill for the info, I live in santry ! I used to sprint and would be still decentish at it, I'm 25 btw also. I'd ideally like to be a wide receiver or a running back

Is it even possible to join a team without know the rules inside out? As I said I've enough knowledge to watch a game and know exacty what's going on but I wouldn't be confident I'd know what to do on a pitch.

Thanks again, also I assume I can go to watch a game? Is there any friendlys during winter?

KAYPEE wrote: »
    Hi there thanks a mill for the info, I live in santry ! I used to sprint and would be still decentish at it, I'm 25 btw also. I'd ideally like to be a wide receiver or a running back

Is it even possible to join a team without know the rules inside out? As I said I've enough knowledge to watch a game and know exacty what's going on but I wouldn't be confident I'd know what to do on a pitch.

Thanks again, also I assume I can go to watch a game? Is there any friendlys during winter?

Sending you a detailed PM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Raoul

Tallaght any chance you could send that pm to me too. Im going to DCU next and would be interested. In the same boat as the op. Only 5'8 or 9 and 11 stone. Not super fast or anything but enthusiastic and just really want to get more into the game aswell. Would have a fairly good knowledge of the rules.

• Advertisement

Lads you will find all the contact details for all the Dublin teams I mentioned in the PM www.americanfootball.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Each team will teach you the rules. Gotta remember there'll be a good few new players on most teams each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

KAYPEE and Raoul - the Dublin Rebels have just started preseason training. We're always recruiting and don't turn anybody away. We have players from 5'4" to 6'7" and from 140lbs to 350lbs. Anybody can make the team, as long as they're willing to work hard. You can contact us at info@dublinrebels.com or check us out on www.dublinrebels.com.

Advertisement