Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broncos, McDaniels fined for re-enacting Spygate

Options
  • 27-11-2010 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

The NFL fined the Denver Broncos and coach Josh McDaniels $50,000 each after an employee violated the league's integrity-of-the-game policy by videotaping a six-minute portion of the San Francisco 49ers' Oct. 30 practice at Wembley Stadium in London.

The Broncos and NFL made the announcement Saturday, nearly one month after the 49ers' 24-16 victory over the Broncos on Oct. 31

The Broncos informed the NFL that team video director Steve Scarnecchia took the video and presented it that day to McDaniels, who declined to view it. However, McDaniels was fined because he failed to report the incident as required by league policy.

"I apologize for not promptly reporting the improper conduct of our video director before our game against the 49ers in London," McDaniel said in a statement released by the Broncos. "The actions of this individual are in no way representative of the values and integrity held by myself, our players and coaches, and the entire Denver Broncos organization.

"I understand the punishment from the National Football League and support its commitment to the integrity of the game. We have addressed the situation internally to assure that nothing like this happens again."

The Broncos also were fined because they are responsible for their employees' actions.

The Broncos terminated Scarnecchia's employment for cause. Also, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Scarnecchia that, as a repeat violator of league rules relating to the integrity of the game, he will be the subject of a hearing to determine whether or not he should be barred from the league.

Scarnecchia and McDaniels previously worked for the New England Patriots, who were found to have videotaped New York Jets coaches sending in signals during a game four years ago. The NFL bans such videotaping and issued $750,000 in fines against the Patriots and coach Bill Belichick. The Patriots also were stripped of their 2008 first-round draft pick.

Scarnecchia worked for the Patriots between 2001 and 2005. McDaniels, who worked in New England from 2001 to 2009, hired Scarnecchia in Denver shortly after becoming the Broncos' coach 22 months ago.

The league found that Broncos executives were made aware of the videotaping on Nov. 8, after the team's return from London.

After conducting an internal review, Broncos executives contacted the NFL office on Nov. 12 and requested a meeting to report the apparent violation. On the morning of Nov. 16, Broncos executives, including owner Pat Bowlen, met with NFL staff in New York to disclose Scarnecchia's actions.

Based on the report, NFL Security promptly began an investigation, which included interviews of Broncos personnel in Denver on Nov. 18 and 19. NFL Security also arranged for a forensic analysis of the laptop computers used by the video department, which confirmed that the Saturday practice had been recorded. NFL Security retained the tape.

The fines are the latest embarrassment for a Broncos team that has lost 15 of 20 games for the first time since 1971 and 1972. The Broncos were blown out 59-14 by the archrival Oakland Raiders last month in what many consider the worst home loss in the team's 51-year history

Oh dear. You think those two would have learned their lesson the first time! Although to be fair, I would have done the exact same thing as McDaniels in not reporting it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bit harsh on McDaniels, Scarnecchia should never be allowed work in the nfl again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Scarnecchia that, as a repeat violator of league rules

Repeat offender, should be barred for life. They have similar in horse racing, I think they call it "warned off"

I can see your point Chucky but I don't see the fine to McDaniels as harsh.
    I wouldn't expect any head coach to know every regulation but the Broncos have a President and a legal team for these situations. He could have asked the people who know.

Realy, its the same in many areas of employment. Like in financial services if you recognized wrong doing and don't report it then your name ends up in a report and possible disciplinary action. Seen it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its a sad state of affairs when you get fined for not being a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I literally cannot believe this. Mcdaniels has not only ruined one of the great teams in the NFL in two years, he has now brought shame and disgrace to the broncos. It's now at the stage where we are the laughing stock of the NFL. We literally cannot fire him too quickly at this stage, if the w***er has any decency he should f***ing resign monday afternoon and f*** off out of denver, never to be seen again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Gotta love the response on some of the 49ers forums, who they were filming.

"Don't they know what halfback dives look like?"

:D:pac:

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    I literally cannot believe this. Mcdaniels has not only ruined one of the great teams in the NFL in two years, he has now brought shame and disgrace to the broncos. It's now at the stage where we are the laughing stock of the NFL. We literally cannot fire him too quickly at this stage, if the w***er has any decency he should f***ing resign monday afternoon and f*** off out of denver, never to be seen again

Ruined one of the great teams?

Iirc they went 8-8 under Shanahan in his last season there and they hadn't done much for a couple of years. How can you call that a great team.

I think that when Josh is finished the Broncos will have a great team again. He has proven that the big names has got rid of are replaceable. Orton is as good if not better than Cutler ever was there, Lloyd looks every bit as good as Marshall but without the baggage.

The problems are mainly on the D right now, they need to improve their run blocking too but that is easily fixed. Elvis Dumervil was a huge loss up front on that D. Next year with some good drafting, you will have an early first round pick and should have two early second rounds picks, they could sort out that defense and the OL.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ruined one of the great teams?

Iirc they went 8-8 under Shanahan in his last season there and they hadn't done much for a couple of years. How can you call that a great team.

I think that when Josh is finished the Broncos will have a great team again. He has proven that the big names has got rid of are replaceable. Orton is as good if not better than Cutler ever was there, Lloyd looks every bit as good as Marshall but without the baggage.

The problems are mainly on the D right now, they need to improve their run blocking too but that is easily fixed. Elvis Dumervil was a huge loss up front on that D. Next year with some good drafting, you will have an early first round pick and should have two early second rounds picks, they could sort out that defense and the OL.

I kinda meant in general with the proud history and all that, our last few years under shanny weren't great tbh and his time was up. bear in mind that the last time the broncos had a 5-15 run over 20 games, man had just landed on the moon.

Its kinda like the way the raiders are generally regarded one of the great teams and rightly so but havent done anything in years, you can never lose your history

I kinda meant in general with the proud history and all that, our last few years under shanny weren't great tbh and his time was up. bear in mind that the last time the broncos had a 5-15 run over 20 games, man had not yet landed on the moon.

Its kinda like the way the raiders are generally regarded one of the great teams and rightly so but havent done anything in years, you can never lose your history

Oh ok, I get what you mean. I don't think things are that bad though. I think he will turn it around given some time. He does need to do something about the D though. He needs some players and he needs a new DC too imo. That is always going to be the problem when you bring in an offensive coordinator as your head coach. Once he sorts the D then that team is ready to rock big time.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Oh ok, I get what you mean. I don't think things are that bad though. I think he will turn it around given some time. He does need to do something about the D though. He needs some players and he needs a new DC too imo. That is always going to be the problem when you bring in an offensive coordinator as your head coach. Once he sorts the D then that team is ready to rock big time.

meh, he's not got it as a coach and has brought the team into disrepute, im all for just scrapping him, especially if we could bring in Gruden as replacement. New DC is a need too, but if mcmillen goes, a ton of that staff gets binned with him. wish we didn't have to change the DC again though, we've had like 5 of them in the last 5 years

This team is in exactly the same position as when he took over. Explosive offence with execution issues and terrible D. He's had two years with this team and all he's managed to do is take us full circle, via the scenic route. Not to mention he and the people who work under him have brought the name of the club into disrepute the previous week.

Another typical example of pats assistants failing as coaches, he's a great OC but a terrible coach

Another typical example of pats assistants failing as coaches, he's a great OC but a terrible coach

I agree with this. Tactically, McDaniels is a freaking genius and one of the best offensive coordinators in the league. His creativity in play calling is unparalleled. However, without that voice of reason and experience behind him (see Bill Belichick), he just doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach. Maybe in the future it's something he'll pick up, but I just don't think he has the presence either. Man management is still one of the most important jobs of a HC and it's something I wouldn't be confident with McDaniels in charge of.

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    I agree with this. Tactically, McDaniels is a freaking genius and one of the best offensive coordinators in the league. His creativity in play calling is unparalleled. However, without that voice of reason and experience behind him (see Bill Belichick), he just doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach. Maybe in the future it's something he'll pick up, but I just don't think he has the presence either. Man management is still one of the most important jobs of a HC and it's something I wouldn't be confident with McDaniels in charge of.

Pretty much spot on, i completely agree with more or less all of that lol, id rather someone who can do both, which is why i'm hoping for Gruden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

McDaniels seems to rub people up the wrong way behind closed doors. He's an undoubted talent though from the Bellichek coaching stable and unlike Charlie Weis and Romio, will imo be a good long term head coach. BB was less than a success in Cleveland and has come back fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I kinda meant in general with the proud history and all that, our last few years under shanny weren't great tbh and his time was up. bear in mind that the last time the broncos had a 5-15 run over 20 games, man had just landed on the moon.

TBF the Broncos have done worse in terms of cheating http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

$50,000 Vs $950,000 & loss of a 3rd round pick

Not going well for McDaniels again today. Could be losing a hell of a lot more than $50k the way things are going.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Not going well for McDaniels again today. Could be losing a hell of a lot more than $50k the way things are going.

His life if i got my hands on him lol....

Seriously though, he has to go ASAP, the season is done, there can be no harm in giving him the shoe this stage and the Mcspygate fiasco last week could be enough cause to not pay him the remainder of his contract. If we fired him we could do a dan snyder on it and start making overtures to gruden for the last few weeks

Honestly, we have nothing to lose by firing him (as the season has obviously gone down the ****er by now and an interim coach couldnt do a lot worse) and everything to gain. Who cares how we finish at this stage, a losing season is a losing season and at least we'll pick high in next years draft and try and fix this shambolic defence of ours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If they fire him, they'll be his contract, Shanahan's contract and the new guy's contract

And it still makes sense to get rid of him. Thats how bad its become. Even his much trumpeting shedding of Jay Cutler doesn't look a great idea now.

At least when the Pats cheated they won

Dodge wrote: »
    If they fire him, they'll be his contract, Shanahan's contract and the new guy's contract

And it still makes sense to get rid of him. Thats how bad its become. Even his much trumpeting shedding of Jay Cutler doesn't look a great idea now.

At least when the Pats cheated they won

Like i said in the post above, we may be able to weasel out of paying McMillen some of that money due to misconduct on his part for McSpygate... please God.... If not, well Pat Bowlen and Joe Ellis may have to bite the bullet on this one as its becoming absolutely necessary for the broncos to ditch McMillen asap.

Meh, Cutler's on a great team to be fair, though he is performing. Amazing what a good team and coach can do, sure look at how Orton is doing this year but its not mattering a bit for us.

The peyton hillis and alphonso smith trades have pissed me off quite a bit more than the cutler thing as both orton and tebow are capable of winning on teams that aren't ****ing useless. Hillis is just running riot in brown town

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The peyton hillis and alphonso smith trades have pissed me off quite a bit more than the cutler thing

Thats the point I was making. Some people were saying the only thing he did right was getting rid of Cutler. But thats not true either now IMO

Like i said in the post above, we may be able to weasel out of paying McMillen some of that money due to misconduct on his part for McSpygate... please God.... If not, well Pat Bowlen and Joe Ellis may have to bite the bullet on this one as its becoming absolutely necessary for the broncos to ditch McMillen asap.

Meh, Cutler's on a great team to be fair, though he is performing. Amazing what a good team and coach can do, sure look at how Orton is doing this year but its not mattering a bit for us.

The peyton hillis and alphonso smith trades have pissed me off quite a bit more than the cutler thing as both orton and tebow are capable of winning on teams that aren't ****ing useless. Hillis is just running riot in brown town

Doubt there is any chance you could fire him and not pay him because of what happened with the taping. The only thing he did wrong was not report it in a timely manner to the nfl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why did Mike Nolan leave, he did a great job with the defense.

Was he pushed?

• Advertisement

Why did Mike Nolan leave, he did a great job with the defense.

Was he pushed?

More money in becoming DC in miami and it was a job he was meant to have been looking for...not meant to have been anything to do with mcdaniels really, as easy as it would be to blame him

That better be the dreaded vote of confidence is all i'll say.

Hope to god we get absolutely owned by the chiefs sunday now, might get rid of this idiot and it keeps them in 1st.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

That better be the dreaded vote of confidence is all i'll say.

Hope to god we get absolutely owned by the chiefs sunday now, might get rid of this idiot and it keeps them in 1st.

I follow the Patriots, and granted, they've been on a good run the last few years. but if it ever got bad, and we have a crap coach instead of Belichick, there is still no way in hell I want us to lose to the Jets.

I cant ever understand a supporter wanting his team to lose. whether it be for a first draft pick or to get rid of a coach. you should always want your team to win, regardless. And not only you want them to lose, but to be owned by one of, if not the, biggest rival team.:confused:

I wouldn't regard the Chiefs as our biggest rival, despite the fact that they're good now. The rivalry with the raiders has some history and it's been a bitter rivalry over the years.... meanwhile, us and the chargers in the Rivers/Turner era absolutely fcuking despise each other...

Essentially, the constant losing and embarassment of this team this year has numbed me somewhat and i could care less if the chiefs beat us now cause it might prove beneficial in the long run. I'm used to watching us lose.

As well as that, i've also seen probably the worst owning the broncos will take from a div rival in my lifetime this year

I'm also sick to my hole of hearing about the Chargers being great every december and making a late playoff surge... fcuk that, i hate them, and would gladly take the Chiefs winning the div over them

Rest assured, if this were against the chargers, it wouldnt matter how meaningless it was, id be dying to get one over the fcukers... the chiefs... meh, not so much

Also, feelingstressed, funny you should praise Orton there, i obviously rate him highly myself but you may be surprised to hear that a lot of the broncos fanbase doesnt rate him and is pining for cutler again

I'm similiar to Spiralism, the chiefs rivalary isn't that big at all. I actually don't mind them really and on the last game of the season we play the Chiefs and if us losing to them kept the Chargers out I'd be pretty happy. If it meant getting rid of a HC I hated it would be an added bonus. The broncos/charger rivalary is different, I hate both and wouldn't want to lose to them.

I know people say you shouldn't wish your team to lose but in December when you are playing for nothing knowing that a few loses will mean a new HC and a chance at drafting a guy like AJ green or similiar it's not hard to hope you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Heard something interesting on the Rich Eisen podcast (apart from a good interview with Tom Terrific Pats fans;)). Kara Henderson said she was told that Todd Haley said to McDaniels (when he refused to shake his hand); "the whole league is talking about you". Wasn't sure if thats been reported before.

There is something tbh odd about McDaniels tbh. A second year head coach who has been constantly embroiled in controversies since he began in Denver.

Advertisement