Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Netgear WGR614 wireless router settings

Options
  • 27-11-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Ive been having a problem with connecting to my macbook through wireless and when I went into compub off grafton street they said it may be due to a setting on my router. My wireless connection works fine on my windows laptop and will work fine if i use a wired connection from my broadband to my macbook.

Ive tried searching online for different settings on the Netgear router but everything looks ok. The security I have set is WPA-PSK and the guy in the shop said it might be something to do with that.

Im with UPC and tried my brothers wimax connection which worked perfect. So i cant figure out if its a router issue or provider issue. its definitely not the macbook as it connects to other wireless connections

can anyone help?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Log into your router via 192.168.1.1 then enter your details, think the default username is admin and password for the pass.

Go into the wireless setting of the router and disable the wifi lock and apply, now see if there's any difference in your wifi performance from your MacBook.

It maybe just a simple a selected a different level of security such as WEP.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

akadesign wrote: »
    Log into your router via 192.168.1.1 then enter your details, think the default username is admin and password for the pass.

Go into the wireless setting of the router and disable the wifi lock and apply, now see if there's any difference in your wifi performance from your MacBook.

It maybe just a simple a selected a different level of security such as WEP.

Let us know how you get on.

Im not sure why but for some reason when I selected WEP as a security setting my Mac didnt seem to be able to pick up any wireless connection :confused:

maybe i did something wrong though, ill try it again

thanks for the advice

EDIT: Tried switching to WEP which I got working and thought that had solved the problem. I was able to connect to the internet on my mac and load a webpage successfully. However it got slower and slower and then eventually looked like it had given up! I tried going from one website to the home page and it wouldnt even do that.

Seemed to work for about 5 mins then back to its old ways :(

How's the performance when you have no security on the wifi?

akadesign wrote: »
    How's the performance when you have no security on the wifi?

not much better probably worse actually! i noticed theres an option for mode and channel does that make any difference? I think theyre set to the default setting of 11 and 'g and b'. Also when I have WPA as security the default for key lifetime is 60 minutes I dont really understand what key lifetime is so not sure if that would need to be changed

Set your channel to auto if possible and try that, if that doesn't work try selecting different channels and see which one works best, they channels will help eliminate interference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

I'm confused. Does your Mac not connect at all, or is it just slow? You shouldn't need to change the settings you mentioned. Does your network appear in the list when you click the WiFi icon in the menu bar, but you get an error message when you select it? Have you double-checked the passphrase?

SandStone wrote: »
    I'm confused. Does your Mac not connect at all, or is it just slow? You shouldn't need to change the settings you mentioned. Does your network appear in the list when you click the WiFi icon in the menu bar, but you get an error message when you select it? Have you double-checked the passphrase?

Only actually saw this reply now, ive another issue which I thought would be related too. The macbook wont display an internet page for a long time when you first connect. The signal seems to be there but the page just wont display. Eventually it might display but then the connection is hopelessly slow, never that slow with the windows laptop.

Double checked pass phrase as well.

The new issue I had was an error that was appearing on my PC and windows laptop saying there was an IP conflict. After doing some research I went into my network connections on my PC (which the router/broadband are connected to)and noticed in protocols Ive only got TCP/IP and TCP/IP6 but no TCP/IPv4 and I cant install this as it doesnt appear on the list.

Reading about this on the internet it seems to be major issue but I cant seem to find away to install it. Im starting to think the issue with the macbook is down to my PC not having this since its acting as the main port of call for the router. Would this be correct or have i got it totally wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

I think you've got it wrong :-) In general I suspect your problems are caused by you changing settings you don't really understand.

Assuming your MacBook connects directly to the router instead of going through your PC, the idea of you PC "acting as the main port of call for the router" doesn't make sense. If you got a warning about an address conflict, it could be that you set the computers to the wrong addresses. You should use DHCP to set the addresses automatically unless you have a good reason not to. Also, I'm sure the "TCP/IP" protocol covers IPv4.

SandStone wrote: »
    I think you've got it wrong :-) In general I suspect your problems are caused by you changing settings you don't really understand.

Assuming your MacBook connects directly to the router instead of going through your PC, the idea of you PC "acting as the main port of call for the router" doesn't make sense. If you got a warning about an address conflict, it could be that you set the computers to the wrong addresses. You should use DHCP to set the addresses automatically unless you have a good reason not to. Also, I'm sure the "TCP/IP" protocol covers IPv4.

i only changed settings i either knew about or on advice of others but ive made sure everything is set to DHCP and that none have static IP addresses.

What I meant about the router was just that its physically connected to the broadband modem and thats connected to the PC so wasnt sure if a problem with the PC would impact on everything

If the TCP/IP covers v4 then thats cool cheers

Advertisement