Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas present for grandmother

Options
  • 27-11-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me, I'm trying to find a present for my grandmother. She's in her late 70's and claims she 'doesn't want anything' and I haven't a clue what to get her. She doesn't need anything for her house, isn't particularly active, doesn't wear perfume/make up/jewellery. And I really really don't want to get her a voucher (I wouldn't even know where to get it for).
    Has anyone got any ideas, what are you getting your grandmothers??
    HELP!!!! :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Scarf,
    Hand cream,
    Brooch,
    Voucher to get her hair done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Scarf,
    Hand cream,
    Brooch,
    Voucher to get her hair done?
    She's definitely not a scarf or handcream person :( unlike me :D
    Hair voucher was/is an option but I really don't wanna get a voucher unless I absolutely have to. She has a few brooches already and the selection in towne here is terrible for stuff like that.
    I really really don't like Xmas shopping :(

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

How about some briquettes / coal? Lots of elderly people worry about heating for the winter.

Goodne wrote: »
    How about some briquettes / coal? Lots of elderly people worry about heating for the winter.
    She doesn't have an open fire any more as she isn't able to maintain it, but maybe a voucher towards filling her tank with oil for central heating may be an idea. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Maybe some books?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

What about a nice new radio? It was all my grandfather had any interest in.

Or a nice toastie dressing gown and slippers?

chucken1 wrote: »
    Maybe some books?
    She has eye problems so her vision isn't the best unfortunately, and even before that she never really was much into books :(
    What about a nice new radio? It was all my grandfather had any interest in.

Or a nice toastie dressing gown and slippers?
    She was also in hospital recently so has a ton of new pjs and slippers and things and I'd say if one of us handed her something like that she'd kill us :D

All really good ideas everyone but my grandmother is a very tricky woman to buy for. I think for the past few years she's always been the last one I've gotten a gift for, and I thought I'd get the jump on it this year :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Just had a thought (doesnt happen often)..Could you maybe decorate her room? It would also mean spending more time with her discussing colours etc? (Not saying you dont spend time with her) :)

chucken1 wrote: »
    Just had a thought (doesnt happen often)..Could you maybe decorate her room? It would also mean spending more time with her discussing colours etc? (Not saying you dont spend time with her) :)
    We did her room up during the summer, but I'll ask her if there's anything she needs for it at the moment.
    I think so far it looks like it'll be a voucher for some home heating oil and something else, I may do a bit of baking :)

Advertisement