Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda incompetant and unhelpful stories?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Ok first off i dont want this to turn into how crap the garda are or how a garda beat you up or something as they can "justify" that by saying you were causing trouble or something along those lines.

I recieved a letter in the post a few weeks ago sayin i was caught speedingat approx. 21.30. It was the 20th of october so the new Vans weren't in yet. They issue im having is i was at training between 20.30-21.30. The training is on astroturf so the minute 21.30 comes we are kicked off. Most nights after trainin we stand around talking for a few minutes. the location where i train is a 10minute drive from where i was "caught". I am debating that i wasn't there as i have plenty of proof but i had to pay the €80fine as by the time i found out my rights and got around to it it was too lat and if not paid incur a €120 and the penalty points double aswell. So i when the garda finally got back to me they say i can't debate it anymore cos i paid the fine? I sent a letter from my manager proving i was at training at those times and they don't care.

I also heard a few stories from people how some people they know have gotten tickets before and in the end found out that another car exacte same make and model was using there number plater to as a scam to avoid fines. I know it is highly unlikely but anyone hear much on this?

Also Any one else have stories like this where the Garda are completely and utterly wrong about speeding or fines and stuff and won't do anything about it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

mawdz wrote: »
    Ok first off i dont want this to turn into how crap the garda are or how a garda beat you up or something as they can "justify" that by saying you were causing trouble or something along those lines.

I recieved a letter in the post a few weeks ago sayin i was caught speedingat approx. 21.30. It was the 20th of october so the new Vans weren't in yet. They issue im having is i was at training between 20.30-21.30. The training is on astroturf so the minute 21.30 comes we are kicked off. Most nights after trainin we stand around talking for a few minutes. the location where i train is a 10minute drive from where i was "caught". I am debating that i wasn't there as i have plenty of proof but i had to pay the €80fine as by the time i found out my rights and got around to it it was too lat and if not paid incur a €120 and the penalty points double aswell. So i when the garda finally got back to me they say i can't debate it anymore cos i paid the fine? I sent a letter from my manager proving i was at training at those times and they don't care.

I also heard a few stories from people how some people they know have gotten tickets before and in the end found out that another car exacte same make and model was using there number plater to as a scam to avoid fines. I know it is highly unlikely but anyone hear much on this?

Also Any one else have stories like this where the Garda are completely and utterly wrong about speeding or fines and stuff and won't do anything about it??

in future contest a fine or ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mawdz

I wasnt asking for advice i was just wondering if anyone else had stories like this. Also i was contesting it but during the process the time was up so had to pay or else fine and penalty points go up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I also heard a few stories from people how some people they know have gotten tickets before and in the end found out that another car exacte same make and model was using there number plater to as a scam to avoid fines. I know it is highly unlikely but anyone hear much on this

In fairness what are the odds of someone using your number plates, with the exact same make, model and car colour as you being only ten minutes away from your location at the time? I'd say pretty slim.

You were either actually speeding at the time, or the time stamp on the ticket is wrong.

No time stamp on the ticket just my reg which im quite annoyed about and i requested a time stamped picture all i got was same picture as the ticket. I also said its "highly unlikely" that someone was using my reg but i have heard it happen to a few people before so just wonder it happen to anyone here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I also heard a few stories from people how some people they know have gotten tickets before and in the end found out that another car exacte same make and model was using there number plater to as a scam to avoid fines.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but same car, same reg and same area and roughly the same time as you?
    If you clone a reg, surely you take off to another area of Ireland, you don't stay local

October 20th was before the daylight savings time.
    Maybe the letter was issued and the time recorded went out by an hour? A very easy mistake to happen
    My first impression

edit, you've answered the timestamp just as I posted

I wasnt asking for advice i was just wondering if anyone else had stories like this. Also i was contesting it but during the process the time was up so had to pay or else fine and penalty points go up

Of course you don't have to pay it. If you're contesting it, have genuine grounds and are proven correct then the fine and points are withdrawn. You're also within your rights to request all the details and I find it strange no time was stated on the letter you received. This is moot though because you've already paid the fine which in essence is admitting your guilt.

The only trouble I've ever had with fines is with the toll people. Anytime I've ever received a fine through the post for speeding it's been accurate unfortunately.

Well i jsut said it is a possibility as it has happened to people before i no its is very unlikely. I never really thought of the DST thing actually but i recieved the letter on the 29th October. Was that before or after the clocks changing im not too good with that kinda stuff:p???

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Of course you don't have to pay it. If you're contesting it, have genuine grounds and are proven correct then the fine and points are withdrawn. You're also within your rights to request all the details and I find it strange no time was stated on the letter you received. This is moot though because you've already paid the fine which in essence is admitting your guilt.

I still think it should be debatable even though i paid i understand where your coming from tho. I just paid cos i didnt wanna have to pay more and get more penalty points in the long run. Im a worry wart :p

I still think it should be debatable even though i paid i understand where your coming from tho. I just paid cos i didnt wanna have to pay more and get more penalty points in the long run. Im a worry wart :p

I can understand that, especially if you have a doubt in your mind as to whether or not you were actually speeding. I'd be disinclined to call this a genuine Gardaí incompetency or unhelpful story though. They caught you (or someone with the same reg as you) speeding (according to you at an unknown time, weird), sent you the fine, you paid the fine after querying it, job done. Wouldn't make sense for them to reopen or entertain the line of inquiry after you paid it IMO.

• Advertisement

The time i was "caught" was 21.30. It wasnt a time stamped photo it jsut said it on the letter. I was at training at that time and it was 10mintues drive away so by the time i changed and such aftewards it would have been like 22.00 so even if i was speeding the time is well out. So if i had not debated it the ticket should be null and void as i was not speeding at 21.30 my car was parked. Ugh they jsut frustrate me sometimes.
    Anymore stories similar????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

i was caught speeding at approx. 21.30. It was the 20th of october so the new Vans weren't in yet. They issue im having is i was at training between 20.30-21.30.
    No time stamp on the ticket just my reg which im quite annoyed about and i requested a time stamped picture all i got was same picture as the ticket.

I'm really confused.
    You were caught speeding at approximately 21:30 in an area that you admit to frequently being in at 21:40.
    Then you paid the fine rather that contest it.

I'm by no means a fan of the Gardaí but how exactly have they been incompetent and unhelpful?
    You were caught speeding, you paid the fine, case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Paying the fine is the same as pleading guilty in court and receiving a sentence. There is nothing the Gardaí can do about this. Your gripe is with the courts service. In future if you get a fine you think is wrong you can write to the local Superintendent and plead you case and they can decide to cancel it.

I'm really confused.
    You were caught speeding at approximately 21:30 in an area that you admit to frequently being in at 21:40.
    Then you paid the fine rather that contest it.

I'm by no means a fan of the Gardaí but how exactly have they been incompetent and unhelpful?
    You were caught speeding, you paid the fine, case closed.

I did contest it but i paid it while i was debating it its my first fine i rarely speed so didnt no the procedure? The fact they were unhelpful was i requested a time stamped photo and they sent out a photo of my reg no time on it just a letter statin again it was 21.30. I wasnt in that location till 22.00 at the earliest.
    Incompatent: Cannot supply a time stamped picture on request instead jsut send the same one i had, If i was speeding reported the totally incorrect time.
    Unhelpful: Reply was quite rudely worded even tho all i sent them was stating i was not in the area at that time i had proof and i was requestin a time stamped photo, Couldnt supply this and i know its my own fault but now that i have paid it i can't debate it. Im not that pushed about the money like it would be nice to get it back but we all know it will be a cold day in hell its just the penalty points that annoy me so much like.

A letter from your manager saying you were playing football isn't really proof. CCTV footage of your car parked at the astropark at the time the letter stated would have been much better. Anyway I wouldn't worry too much about the penalty points, I'm assuming they're your first, they'll make very little difference (if any at all) to you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,922 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So you paid the fine because you didn't object to the ticket even though you had a strong alibi?

No disrespect, but that wasn't a lack of competence on the part of the Gardai.

Any 20 minutes of research online would have let you know what the procedure was. In the states you file a Motion for Discovery ahead of a traffic court appearance, where you plead not guilty. once your in front of a judge it only really takes about 5 mins.

Paying the fine was basically admitting guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

To summarise for those (like me) who were too lazy to read the entire OP:

Waah Waah I got caught speeding...I shoul be above the law...the Gardaí are all assholes...Bahwaawa *bawls like baby* *stamps feet* *creates gardabashing thread because doesnt have balls to appeal properly*

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I am confused by the title.

Anyhow, you paid up, get over it.

Legal discussion is where you want to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement