Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 27-11-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Last night I saw a huge flash of bright light about 10 meters from the window. The light was circular and white. At first I thought it might be the neighbours oddly using flash photography, but then I thought it might be lightning instead, although there was no thunder. This continued intermittently, and at one stage I woke up to see pink "lightning" in the same circular shape. And then this morning, woke up to find everything covered in snow.

Has anyone else seen lightning like this? Is it actually lightning? I've only ever seen lightning in the distance before, but maybe this is what it looks like up close and personal!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It was pretty cool alright.
    Had some right above my window too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'd suggest it may be a static discharge due to the dry crisp weather conditions.

There are a few reports of blue flashes in the sky. St Elmo's fire comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fork lightning. unusual enough in this country, we normally just get sheet lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Grendels

Good to know I'm not going crazy :D

Also came across this video of lightning over Dublin Bay, which shows a pink and purple sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

That video is brilliant. If you pause it when the lightning strikes it looks like a photo taken during the day it's so bright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement