Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernie Ecclestone attacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Does sound nasty, sad to hear that type of thing. I'm sure Bernie won't let it bother him too much but not nice for any 80 year old to being attacked

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Text from the Indo for mobile.

Note it doesn't state the girlfriends age ;)
    Bernie Ecclestone sustained a head injury after muggers attacked the Formula One boss and his Brazilian girlfriend before escaping with jewellery worth over ?200,000.

The 80-year-old billionaire was attacked outside the headquarters of his company Formula One Holdings in Knightsbridge, central London.

The businessman and Fabiana Flosi, his Brazilian lawyer girlfriend, were attacked just weeks after the motor-racing entrepreneur suggested the city's streets were more violent than Brazil.

In the latest incident, Mr Ecclestone was punched and kicked by four men who were lying in wait as he arrived at his business headquarters.

The gang, none of whom has been arrested, escaped with over ?200,000 worth of jewellery including Mr Ecclestone's watch and a diamond ring.

Police confirmed reports of the incident, which occurred at 10.30pm on Wednesday.

''Police were called at 10.30pm on Wednesday November 24 to reports of a man and a woman robbed on Princes Gate," a Scotland Yard spokesman said.

''The man was taken to a west London hospital for treatment to a minor head injury and was subsequently discharged. There were no reports of any other injuries. Officers from Westminster robbery squad are investigating."

He added: "There have been no arrests and inquiries continue.

''The items stolen are believed to be a quantity of jewellery.''

Earlier this month, Mr Ecclestone had said it was surprising the number of people who got mugged hourly in Oxford Street.

He was responding to the attempted carjacking of Britain's former Formula 1 champion Jenson Button.

The former World Champion's trained undercover police driver had to swerve his way out of a traffic jam after gunmen approached their stationary armoured car ahead of the Sao Paulo race.

Questions have been raised about the continued staging of F1 in Brazil, which has a bad record for serious crime.

"You have to remember we have a lot of problems in England, Oxford Street and places, and in New York people get mugged," Mr Ecclestone said of the Brazil incident.

"They look for victims, they look for anyone that looks like a soft touch and not too bright they never go after them.

"The people that look a bit soft and simple, they will always have a go at."

Mr Ecclestone has not commented on the London incident. His girlfriend was reported to have been left "shaken".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Just saw pictures of Bernie on a review of the papers on BBC News. His face is on bits. Looks very nasty with bad cuts around his eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Brazilian eh? :pac:

Takes some coward to attack someone with an 80 year old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The police have released two e-fits of two of the apparent attackers

alonso_ferrari_470_vittorio.jpg

and

Webber.jpg

Here's hoping Bernie makes a full & proper recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

police have straightaway ruled out audley harrison

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

214041_1.jpg

Bernie says the £200,000 figure mentioned was bull
    BATTERED and bruised Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone spoke yesterday of the moment he was savagely punched and kicked into unconsciousness by a gang of thieves.

“I’m feeling it now, bit painful, it was a good whacking,” said Mr Ecclestone, speaking exclusively to the Daily Express at his offices in London’s fashionable Knightsbridge where the attack took place on Wednesday night after he had been to a restaurant in London with girlfriend Fabiana Flosi.

The 80-year-old billionaire, who owns the rights to Grand Prix racing, was punched in the face several times and as he lay on the ground he took kicks to his face as one of the four robbers ripped the earrings from Fabiana.

“I drove as I often do and we had just got out of the car when suddenly these guys laid into me,” said Mr Ecclestone, who is 5ft 4in and slightly built.

FOLLOW THE EXPRESS ON TWITTER!

“They said nothing to me, just went on the attack so there was no chance to feel scared or react.

“When I was on the ground I could hear Fabiana screaming for help and I took a kick or two in the head and went unconscious.

“When I came to there was blood everywhere from my head wound but I was lucky. They weren’t worried about taking my eye out or head injuries when they were kicking.

“It was completely stupid and uncalled for. If they had confronted me and asked for everything we had, I would have handed over everything in my pockets, my wallet, anything.” He said that the robbers viciously took off Fabiana’s earrings.

SEARCH UK NEWS for:

“She could have taken them off in seconds but they ripped them off,” he said.

“They took our watches and a few other bits and pieces but I never carry much money or expensive jewellery.

“I can understand people robbing a bank or a shop where they know what the value of what they got but with me they didn’t get much.

“Most of Fabiana’s stuff was just personal from Brazil and not worth much.”

Despite his injuries which have forced him to cancel a shooting trip with the King of Spain this weekend, his humour remains intact.

He joked about his watch from Hublot, an F1 sponsor.

“If I had worn my Tag Heuer they probably wouldn’t have bothered,” he said. “I see a figure of £200,000 mentioned but that is b******s. They won’t be going far on what they took off us.”

Mr Eccleston suffered a similar doorstep robbery in Knightsbridge in 1995. But he rarely uses bodyguards.

“I’ve got a bit of money but I don’t feel like a target,” he said.

“I prefer to trust the police, who have been great, but they are bit busy these days in London looking after students who need more money.”

Mr Ecclestone divorced his wife Slavica last year and has since moved Miss Flosi into his Chelsea home.

Slavica, 53, is thought to have received around £1billion in the divorce following 25 years of marriage.

Wow, it does look bad alright. What kind of scumbag would do this to an eighty yeard old man :mad: If caught, it'd be nice to see an F1 car doing a burnout of their head, poetic justice yadda yadda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's the nastiest looking black eye I've seen in a long time. As for ripping earrings out of a woman's ears, ugh.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Id stick the scumbag in a room with Eddie Jordan and lock the door, then open the door after 24hrs. I am sure he will have killed himself by then.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Interesting comments in this article

I wonder how clever he feels now about his comments in Brazil!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yeah, cos he needs more money :rolleyes:

still good ad though, at least he has a sense of humour about it

Advertisement