Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infor on leasing out a horse?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

So due to this budget, my dad no longer has the money to afford my mare.
    So in order to still keep her and yet save some money, part leasing is the option we have decided on.

I just want some info on it. The leaser will have my mare tuesday - thursday with a 1 hour lesson during one of these days, I may also throw monday in.
    I will be drawing up a contract of course specifying everything and making sure both parties know exactly what is expected.

Has anyone here leased their horse out before?
    Anyone got any tips when it comes to finding a leaser? As my mare is not a beginners horse this person does need to be compitant in the saddle.
    How much would be reasonble for getting my horse 3/4 days a week + 1 hour lesson?

Thanks I may have more questions as I get them. She is to stay at the yard shes at, around the Maynooth area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You mean sharing? With this there is give and take as at the end of the day someone is giving you money to essentailly excerise your horse.

Make sure they have insurance and have a trial period. Be sure to run through the particular way you do things with your mare and her belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Hey Jenny,

Really sorry to hear that the economic situation means you are having difficulties keeping your mare.
    I believe the general approach to sharing is that the sharer pays an amount commensurate to how much time they get with your horse. So, for example, if you pay €120 a week livery, you might find someone willing to pay €50-60 for 3-4 days a week. They'll usually pay half for shoes too.
    It *might* be harder to find someone willing to ride your mare just on Tue-Thurs, especially if they work during the day. Maybe throwing in a weekend day would sweeten the deal, so Sun-Tues for example.

Good luck sorting this out, I hope things don't get so bad that you have to sell your girl.

Mar.

Advertisement