Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled over by Fake Garda

Options
  • 26-11-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Just read a news story ( Court Report) in the Meath Chronicle (Nov 20th). A woman in Dunboyne was pulled over by man impersonating a Garda. She was travelling in her car and the car behind her activated a flashing blue light and a siren. He approached the car and asked for her licence and insurance. She became suspicious ( He was Lithuanian) and asked for his ID. She contacted Gardai and the "fake" was stopped and arrested. He had bought the Light and siren in a market. It was apparently a prank and it seems there was no sinister motive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Same as this joker here

herald.ie/national-news/courts/garda-fanatic-caught-speeding-while-drunk-in-fake-patrol-car-2412931.html

I said on a previous thread that you should not stop for a Garda car unless it is marked or else the occupants are in full Garda uniform and was roundly criticised for doing so.

I think this proves that stumpy antennae on a Ford Mondeo with a flashing blue light in the front window is not reason to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

No talk of HQ circulars or their contents allowed here. You have been warned already about this and now as a result you are banned for 3 days

Chief---

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Lads this has been done to death here.

Gardai do thousands of traffic stops every day. If you are worried about any car that tries to pull you over my advice is this and it is common sense.

Pull over in a safe manner and stop somewhere safe. If it is an unmarked car open your window a small bit and ask the Garda to identify themselves. All plain clothes members will have their id with them and will have no problem identifying themselves by whatever means necessary.

Also you can dial 999 and give your location, your car details and ask the Garda on the line to verify everything is ok.

And as i said before if you do not stop for a Garda car that you suspect is suspicious very soon you will see alot more Garda cars and blue lights and you can be sure its safe to pull over then, Gardai are human explain your situation and what you did and why you did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Iorras55

drvr wrote: »
    Just read a news story ( Court Report) in the Meath Chronicle (Nov 20th). A woman in Dunboyne was pulled over by man impersonating a Garda. She was travelling in her car and the car behind her activated a flashing blue light and a siren. He approached the car and asked for her licence and insurance. She became suspicious ( He was Lithuanian) and asked for his ID. She contacted Gardai and the "fake" was stopped and arrested. He had bought the Light and siren in a market. It was apparently a prank and it seems there was no sinister motive.

Some dodgy sense of humour! Sinister I'd call it!

Chief--- wrote: »
    Lads this has been done to death here.

Gardai do thousands of traffic stops every day. If you are worried about any car that tries to pull you over my advice is this and it is common sense.

Pull over in a safe manner and stop somewhere safe. If it is an unmarked car open your window a small bit and ask the Garda to identify themselves. All plain clothes members will have their id with them and will have no problem identifying themselves by whatever means necessary.

Also you can dial 999 and give your location, your car details and ask the Garda on the line to verify everything is ok.

And as i said before if you do not stop for a Garda car that you suspect is suspicious very soon you will see alot more Garda cars and blue lights and you can be sure its safe to pull over then, Gardai are human explain your situation and what you did and why you did it.

So is that advice to either pull over or to wait until the marked Garda cars come?

• Advertisement

So is that advice to either pull over or to wait until the marked Garda cars come?

Pull over. And you know it. It's been said to you numerous times. Or do you still not understand?

foreign wrote: »
    Pull over. And you know it. It's been said to you numerous times. Or do you still not understand?

You have to admit, his post was somewhat ambiguous.

I understand what you have said but disagree with it. When people quoted the statues they definitely backed up my assertion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Its up to you to weigh up the situation and make a choice.

Thats my advice anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I understand what you have said but disagree with it. When people quoted the statues they definitely backed up my assertion.

Run a checkpoint and see what happens.

cushtac wrote: »
    Run a checkpoint and see what happens.

Are there likely to be checkpoints made up exclusively plain-clothed Gardai with unmarked vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Are there likely to be checkpoints made up exclusively plain-clothed Gardai with unmarked vehicles?

Once more, that depends on the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I would say it's rare. I have never seen a checkpoint with just plain cloths members. Firstly it's a massive risk from a health and safety point of view. As we all no drivers in this country are bad at spotting a stopped car in front of them, let alone a human with no high vis standing in the middle of the road. Even with a unmarked car with flashing blue lights. Personally I can say I wouldn't put myself in a situation like that as you are asking for a belt of a car.

I have seen this a mix of unmarked/marked cars with what looked like support from uniform members.

msg11 wrote: »
    I would say it's rare. I have never seen a checkpoint with just plain cloths members. Firstly it's a massive risk from a health and safety point of view. As we all no drivers in this country are bad at spotting a stopped car in front of them, let alone a human with no high vis standing in the middle of the road. Even with a unmarked car with flashing blue lights. Personally I can say I wouldn't put myself in a situation like that as you are asking for a belt of a car.

I have seen this a mix of unmarked/marked cars with what looked like support from uniform members.

Yeah, I have seen similar myself. I was asking a rhetorical question with the intention of proving the worthlessness of a previous comment.

Advertisement