Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fumes from gas stove in sitting room

Options
  • 26-11-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi all
    A few months ago my parents replaced the real fire in the sitting room with a gas fire. They say that some registered gas technician couldn't sign off on it because there wasn't a good enough draw up the chimney. Strange as we never had any problem with the real fire (not that I remember from growing up).

So they ditched the gas fire, and got a free standing gas stove instead. It is installed correctly, however there is a smell in the room when it is on. Most people only notice the smell, but my father cannot sit in the room for more than 10 minutes before his eyes and throat start to irritate him. As far as I know, the pipe to extract the fumes goes all the way up the chimney. Would it be possible for the fumes to come back down the chimney? Or does it mean the stove is leaking? Or is it just a smell that will go away eventually (although they have been trying it for a good while).

So now they don't know what to do. I could try to install it in my house, as I have a two-storey newer house the draw might be better. They'll probably have to get rid of the stove, but I'd like them to keep it as there is more heat out of it compared to the normal fire.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sounds to me just off hand , that you may need more ventilation into the room ie a wall vent or another or larger wall vent to help increase the pull of the chimney?

Was the chimeny swept or was a flue liner installed with the stove??
    You should probably get someone to carry out a spillage test for you somebody RGI registered as soon as possible, whoever installed that gas stove should of performed this test for you.

I would not use the appliance while this is happening it is very dangerous for you

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Ripcord
    It is essential that a wall vent be installed in the sitting room. go to web site Ventilation for gas fires you will get all the info there.

North West

Advertisement